First Model Winchester 1894 Rifle

norseman1867

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Location
Ontario
I have owned a Model 1894 Rifle (26" barrel) in .38-55 for 50 years since buying it from the Oblate Mission brothers at Fort Albany Ontario in 1963. It is is pretty rough shape having been used on the James Bay area for many years prior to me buying it. It has a very low serial number of 31XX. It is a First Model with the screws for the cartridge guides behind the loading gate . It holds a lot of nostalgia for me but time to let it go since my son isn't interested in old guns.
I have read that these First Models are rare. Can anyone give me an idea of what the gun might be worth? Thanks.
18941.jpg.html


18941.jpg.html
 
How long did the Oblate Brothers own the rifle?
Has it been altered from it's original configuration?
What is the bore like?
Over all mechanical condition?
More and better pictures would help.
There are several Winchester fans on this forum who I hope will take it from here.
 
Depends what you mean by "rough" shape. Anything less than 50% condition and it is not worth much more than one made a few years later. The .38/55 is the most desired chambering in a 94 though. Probably made in 1895 as production only began in October of 1894. A friend has one S/N 8XX and it was shipped in December, 1894. Photos are really required to value. In high condition it might bring $3,000 to $4,000 but as condition declines values tumble badly to a low of maybe $300(parts rifle).
 
I paid 500 for a similar rifle; calibre and configuration. Mine had a changed out mag tube and new unfitted, unfinished wood.
Does your have the Crescent shaped Buttplate, it's just out of the pictures.
I'd guess 800 if there are no flaws apparent.
 
To answer your questions the gun is not a parts gun. The gun is all there and all original (except as noted below), crescent butt plate, original sights. Wood is original with a screw through the stock at the wrist. How long Oblates owned the gun I can't say although likely a long time since James Bay guns were usually heavily used and the coastal salt air is hard on guns. I recall one brother telling me that they shot a moose with the gun in 1959. The bore is still pretty bright and the gun is very accurate. One flaw is the live cartidges will flip out when working the action as the flat spring used in one of the cartridge guides is missing. It was assembled in May 1895 according to the Winchester Museum although I don't have a letter. More photos:

18941.jpg


18945.jpg


18942.jpg


18943.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom