Fixing up an antique for display?

Alex_Zues

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
136   0   0
I'm thinking of ordering one of those rusty old Martini-Henry rifles from IMA (http://w ww.ima-usa.com/militaria/original-antique-guns.html) , because the price is right and it could make a nice wall mounted non-functional piece to bring some Imperial class to my place. I've seen the photos and realize it will likely an ugly ducking when it arrives. So what would be the best way to clean it up? Would there be some sort of oil or grease that would be best for the metal? And what about the wood. I want to make it so I can hang it up and not be afraid that it will fall apart, yet I don't want to ruin anything by using cleaning/refinishing products that will make me equivalent to bubba with his good idea fairies.
I've read about others here cleaning up these old boys, what experience, dos, and don'ts are there for cleaning up and old rifle for display?
 
A light touch with a fine, brass, wire wheel in a bench grinder will take light rust off without bothering the finish. Eye protection is required. Wood is wood. Use the same products and techniques used on fine furniture. The stock likely just needs a bath. Murphy's Oil Soap comes to mind for that.
 
It is probable that you can't hurt it much and as it has minimal collector value you can be a little more aggressive in your treatment. For this project I would be using fine steel wool and lacquer thinner to break through the crud and still not lose too much of the original finish on the steel bits. The stock can be really cleaned this way and then re-oiled with warm linseed oil rubbed in well in a few coats-this being the usual original finish. If the forend of the stock is too fragile an application of JBWeld in the barrel groove with saran wrap over it and the barrel placed over top in it's proper place until JB hardens. Oiling is after any epoxy work. This should give you a decent looking wall hanger and not be a huge amount of work. Enjoy
 
I would buy nothing from IMA. there guns are junk and the pics on there site in no way represent what the stock of guns they have for sale really looks like.
Just saying.
 
I have bought two from IMA and four from Atlanta Cutlery (Francottes and Gahendras). The nicer ones were from AC.

IMA ones need a complete restocking (another project in progress). Wood very poor. Very much as described, so no drama with me.

A couple of them, I didn't even look at their mechanisms, I just brushed the big dirt off and hung them as are. To me, an untouched rifle has a certain appeal as a wall hanger.

The Brit made Mk.IV Martinis are reported by some as being in the best condition. Often just need a good cleaning to remove grease and are good to go.

I am told that it is the luck of the draw for a rifle's condition. Just sayin that I am having more luck at AC.
 
I would buy nothing from IMA. there guns are junk and the pics on there site in no way represent what the stock of guns they have for sale really looks like.
Just saying.

my martini henrys are in perfect working order if you buy a francotte or a gahendra(these are not martini henrys but nepals scratch built francotte copys and a design of their own the gaherndra) you are most likely going to get a wall hanger when they come to you they are covered in dried up grease dirt and rust and pitting should be expected these guns were stored in a abandoned castle for over 100 years. when I got mine from epps it was clearly a Nepal cache gun it had what looked like a sewer pipe bore but it was just caked on dried out grease only a little bit of light pitting on the barrel right under the wood line(common)
 
someone told me recently to cover it in vaseline and leave for a couple of weeks. Then wash it off with varsol and metal should look nice with good patina. I have yet to try it,.
 
So try it. Here in UK most of the vast collections of old military arms - one castle in Scotland alone has upwards of 12,000 hanging on walls in decorative circles - use Renaissance Wax. So too do the Royal Armouries in their collections. Did I mention the Imperial War Museum?

tac
 
You will be disappointed with any of the Nepal Junk! In Canada we are lucky to have many MH's lurking in closets. Keep a close lookout and buy a Canadian issue or British issue MH. They have value and keep their value. They also look A1 hanging on a wall and, of you ever wish, you can fire them. Good luck. Dave
 
i sort of agree. I never seen the ones from nepal but there is good deals here to be had. i got a decent and complete gun for $200. Just takes time to find one.
 
You will be disappointed with any of the Nepal Junk! In Canada we are lucky to have many MH's lurking in closets. Keep a close lookout and buy a Canadian issue or British issue MH. They have value and keep their value. They also look A1 hanging on a wall and, of you ever wish, you can fire them. Good luck. Dave

my mk4 came from the Nepal cache no problems other then typical conditions(slight pitting on the barrel just below the wood line slight rust on the left side of the receiver a cracked stock but the bore in minty and the blueing is good) you have to remember these guns were stored in less then ideal conditions for about 100 years. if you want a good martini from the Nepal cache buy a cleaned and complete martini henry mk2 or mk4 not a Nepalese francotte or gahendra these were not good when new and stored in the worst area of the castle if I remember right. don't expect a 100% from factory gun when you are ordering a untouched rifle that was stored in a abandoned castle in a 3rd world country for over 100 years
 
Back
Top Bottom