G.H. & S. Lord Percussion Rifle ?

88 man

Regular
GunNutz
Rating - 100%
418   0   0
Location
Grafton Ont
I picked up a nice old percussion rifle and engraved on the side plate is G.H. & S Lord and on top of barrel is stamped Scarboro.It looks to be about 12ga but I don't know ?.The first 11 1/2 " is octagon and the rest round.Single bead at front.Still has what looks like original ram rod.Barrel is 36" long.
Any help from you guys would be great.I think it'll look nice on my deer rack !


edsgunblackpowder014_zpsc957a491.jpg
[/IMG]
edsgunblackpowder019_zpsbb30a6c4.jpg
[/IMG]
edsgunblackpowder018_zpsa0e6e18f.jpg
[/IMG]
edsgunblackpowder014_zpsc957a491.jpg
[/IMG]
edsgunblackpowder013_zps3e4e3228.jpg
[/IMG]
edsgunblackpowder020_zpscadb7ade.jpg
[/IMG]
 
Nice looking old shotgun. With a good mechanical checkout it is probably safe to use with light loads. A friend of mine has a few and still uses them as partridge guns.
 
Yeah, as has been mentioned, it is not a rifle, but a fowler. Most likely 14 gauge. Remove the ramrod, push out the key in the forend, pull the hammer to half-####, and lift out the barrel. Underneath, you should find information including proof marks, and likely a number 14 on it.
 
Back
Top Bottom