Garand/M1A ammo

wce323078

CGN frequent flyer
Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I see that Hornaday.is making 30-06 ammo for the m1 garand and that Federal has 7.62,(.308) for the M1a family of rifles.Any of the site sponsers carrying this stuff and if so what would be the cost?Reasonable I would hope?
 
The big question is why? My Garand and my M14 shoot anything I can stuff into it. Gun stuff can be a lot like fishing stuff. Fishing lures aren't designed to catch fish as much as they are designed to catch fishermen.
 
Don't think either the Federal or Hornady ammo has made it here yet. Both are a marketing answer to perceived issues with both rifles.
There has never been case lots of M2 surplus ammo in Canada. Never had any issues with commercial ammo out of my M1. Used Winchester, mostly, when I was gathering brass. Reload exclusively now. Ditto for my real semi'd M14.
M1A's aren't much different. Even though SA Inc says no reloads. That's a CYA thing. Sold M1A's when they first came to Canada. No issues with any factory ammo. Mind you, surplus 7.62 Ball was relatively less expensive(still expensive when average pay scales are considered. $300ish was a pile of money.) and easier to get in the late 70's/early 80's.
Reloading makes the search go away. Gives you better ammo too.
 
The big question is why? My Garand and my M14 shoot anything I can stuff into it.

Yes they will...and eventually they will take a dump on you because you shot ammo of too high a pressure. Garands and M14s were designed to operate within certain limits. They will keep going for a time if you exceed them, btu you will damage your rifle. With a Norc M14, who cares? But a Garand is generally more valuable. Hornady came out with ammo that is loaded to the original spec for shooters that are more concerned with damaging their rifles than you seem to be.
 
If you are going to do this you really need to get into reloading. For my Norcs, Garand, Valmet M78, (and CA M14 and L1A1 when I was allowed to shoot them!!) I load under power to just reliably function. It's nice to have your brass land 4 feet away in a neat pile rather than 25 feet crossrange.

You don't need big pressure when you are punching paper at 100 yds. Practice at moderate loads and your guns will last forever. If you are waiting for zombies or some other apocolypse keep 200 rounds of brass ready to load for full power.
 
Oh balls. That would be almost 35 years for mine. And oh yes I do keep within the limitations of the firearm. Most factory ammo is well within specs as long as you keep within the proper bullet weight. Even then I know a number of hunters that use the heavier bullets for hunting. Neither gun is exactly a china cup, and there is a differance between use and abuse. My first Garand cost about $100 and my friend still has it and shoots it with whatever factory ammo Canadian tire sells him.
 
Back
Top Bottom