Gew 71 bolts... 71/84 bolt similarity?

H Wally

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
193   0   0
I've got a very rough Gew71 that's missing a bolt. Wondering if anyone can give me info on how close the 71/84 bolt is to the original 71 bolts - figuring out if I could modify a 71/84 bolt to work in the 71. I know it won't drop in, but if it's anywhere near close I can either machine it down or build it up to fit... saves having to build something from scrap.
 
I compared a M-71 bolt to a 71/84 bolt I have here and it appears that it would be be possible if a person was determined enough.

Most of the changes would involve removing metal which would likely be a good thing.

The 71/84 bolt head would need to be turned back to fit. The sear contacts a protrusion on the cocking piece of the 71/84 and it contacts the barrel of the cocking piece with a ramp milled behind it on the M-71. The extractor are in different positions as well.

The ejector would get tossed as the M-71 never had one.

There are other small differences but the bolt bodies are the same diameter, and it looks like it locks up in the same.
 
Back
Top Bottom