Gonic sabots?

Sabots intended for .45/50 caliber bullets(black plastic) work fine as a substitute, in Gonic rifles. Been using these for years now, without problem. As a matter of interest, Gonic bores measure .500"....versus nominal .503" found in most reproduction .50-caliber muzzleloaders. So, the usual green .44/.50 sabots won't fit.
 
I would be surprised if that attempt at a link actually worked. What I had actually wrote on 03-20-2018 was:

Just an update regarding dimensions. I just received some Scorpion PT Gold 260 Grain tipped bullets - they measure .452". With the supplied Crush Rib sabots, I am measuring .501" / .502". The Barnes 285 grain hollow points measure .451", and when inserted in the unknown-from-where yellow sabots, they measure .505" / .506". In the yellow Crush Rib sabots made for boat tail bullets, with those same .451" Barnes bullets, I get .503". So, with the Crush Ribs, looks like I have a couple options that are smaller than what was not working well at all!
 
Awesome thank you. I've just been shooting weak loads behind round balls.

Why not full power loads behind round balls ? I too have a Gonic and find that my unpatched round balls and the 240 gr Hornady PA conical bullets both give me consistent accuracy. Haven’t found a decent sabot yet (for this gun). And the tight bore makes loading regular lead conicals a real chore.
 
Back
Top Bottom