Grand Manan Gunstock Folk Art

Rob

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 99.8%
562   1   1
Location
Canada
I saw these a couple of weeks ago in the Grand Manan Museum (Grand Manan is an island near the mouth of the Bay of Fundy about a two hour ferry ride off the south coast of New Brunswick).


DSCN0128.jpg

DSCN0125.jpg

DSCN0123.jpg

DSCN0120.jpg

DSCN0124.jpg
 
I don't see how he could have made the cylinder from scratch. I guess he could have thread the barrel and tapped the frame for the barrel, using a conventional tap and die set. Even though I consider the inlayed stocks homely, the inletting itself is well done

cheers mooncoon
 
I don't see how he could have made the cylinder from scratch. I guess he could have thread the barrel and tapped the frame for the barrel, using a conventional tap and die set. Even though I consider the inlayed stocks homely, the inletting itself is well done

cheers mooncoon

I could see a fella with a bunch of time on his hands, and a drill, being able to build a cylinder, but not without a few false starts in the learning curve.

Given the gushy language used to describe this in the clipping, and seeing the work itself, perhaps the 'perfection' was being described by someone with, shall we say, less than a qualified eye?

Barrels do not NEED to be threaded into a frame. A simple cross pin has been used by rather a lot of more modern makers.

Ever read the Patrick F. McManus books? This guy reminds me of the guy therein trying to craft a statue of a nude woman out of chewing gum.

Cheers
Trev
 
The mind boggles

cheers mooncoon

Doesn't it just, though! :)

If you have not read the McManus books, they are funny stories that were originally printed in Outdoor Life magazine over the years, and make a pretty good timre killer when trapped in camp or for outhouse reading.


Cheers
Trev
 
Back
Top Bottom