help! blackpowder newb has question...

killer1963daddy

Regular
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I recently purchased a Armani san Marco .50 percussion rifle of the EE, should show up in the mail today!
other than fiddling with a couple of BP revolvers, I don't know how much or what type of powder to use , I have Goex? FG and FFFG black powder. do I need patches? will it use the same primers no. 11? how to load it, clean it?
any help is welcome, or links to info
thanks k63d
 
Go buy a copy of Lyman's BP Handbook and Reloading Manual. Runs around $30 in your local gun shop. First thing to remember is that BP is loaded by volumn, not weight. The other is that rifle and handgun BP are different. I'd do a net search for a manual for your rifle too.
Goex is just a brand name.
 
Good advice from SUNRAY. The Lyman book is very thorough and easy to read.

GOEX is excellent powder. It is made by Gearhart-Owen Explosives, an oilfield company famed for its downhole electronics equipment. When DuPont closed their original plant, Marvin Gearhart bought it because he thought that Americans should have at least ONE domestic source of Black Powder. My Dad used to shoot with Marvin at barbecues on the Gearhart ranch outside Fort Worth.
 
The Goex FFFG will work just fine in your .50 Cal rifle, start with about 50 grains and use a .490 inch ball. An old bed sheet could be used for patch material..take a small square of the patch material and put it over the bore at the muzzle...press a ball into the bore until it is flush with the end of the barrel...trim with a sharp knife then ram it all the way down. put a cap on the nipple aim and fire. There are various concoctions that can be used to moisten the patch to make repeated shots easier, some even use spit to do the job.
 
mods as you can see the question arises once again,,,,this thread should really be stickied..

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...wder-percussion-for-beginners-start-to-finish



Read my thread I started quite a while back. It covers the basics that you need.In my 50 cal I am using 70 grains of pyrodex rs with a .490 ball and a 15 thou prelubed patch.Beware of prelubed patches cause they can start fires quite easily.Some ppl don't like pyrodex and only want to use goex or a traditional powder. Where I am at ,pyrodex, is all I can get. Some ppl don't like prelubed patches but.....to me....I really don't want to stand there and chew on a old rag to use as a patch or have to fight with moose milk concoctions. For 5 or 6 bucks for 100 patches with no mess involved to me that is the way to go.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom