Help I'D ing a BP rifle

Hunt&Hook

CGN frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Here it is. The only markings are "Ardesa Spain 50 cal Black powder only" It has buckhorn sights, double set trigger, and brass front sight. I tried googling it, and searching here on CGN, but came up short. Maybe someone knows what it is and how much it is worth.

BTW- I love this thing in BP season and can hit a coffee can almost every time at about 75yds using round balls.

Musket.jpg


Musket2.jpg


Musket3.jpg


Thanks
 
I have one of those, it is a copy of a .50 cal Hawken, it was made up from a kit I bought over 27 years ago. You had to finish sanding the stock and mounting the brass fittings and the barrel. Mine shoots well but the second trigger is for show only. I paid $119 bought it here in Ottawa
 
Forgot to mention, the wooden ramrod sucked on mine, and it broke, so i made a brass one for it
 
The spanish guns often aren't bad guns but they aren't worth very much either. Some have quality issues with the lock. Yours looks like a nicer model than most but its still probably worth no more than about $250-$300.

If it shoots that well you have a fun shooter that doesn't owe you much. Enjoy using it!
 
On the Ardesa website it says the guns had a 1-32 twist prior to 2005 I have only used 90grn ffg loads and round AC 1430F.490dia CVA lead balls I have had very good accuracy out to 150 yards but never hunted with it.
 
Thanks a bunch fellas, when I got this one given to me, the set trigger would set, but the main didn't release the hammer, but all it turned out was a minor adjustment. The pull on the trigger must be around 7lbs, but after everything works, after the set trigger, I'd bet pull is about 1.5lbs. I don't plan on selling it because I take it out every year mostly to see the looks on other's faces...hehe "you actually shoot THAT?"

now if I could just find one of those 4 foot long brass scopes....
 
I like mine, and my daughter wants it as an heirloom just because "I made it" lol
Watch out for the wooden ramrod though, I made an all brass one after it broke. Fortunately I was just pulling a stuck ball with the bullet puller at the time , so it broke inside the barrel.
 
I like mine, and my daughter wants it as an heirloom just because "I made it" lol
Watch out for the wooden ramrod though, I made an all brass one after it broke. Fortunately I was just pulling a stuck ball with the bullet puller at the time , so it broke inside the barrel.

+1

Get or make a range rod from steel, brass or plastic rather than using the wooden rod under the barrel. Way easier to use and the breakage issue is a real hazard.
 
Back
Top Bottom