Help identifiying rimfire round

crazy_davey

Super Moderator
Moderating Team
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
Location
AB foothills
I am just curious what exactly this round is, the one on the right (44-40 on the left)

IMG_0215.jpg


I am sure it is some sort of variation of a .50 rimfire. Had it around for years but I actually never noticed the slight taper in it until tonight. "H" is the only thing stamped on the bottom.

Any ideas?
 
I am also pretty sure that it is a civil war era cartridge.

Edit: I had a quick look and it is a Winchester Repeating Arms Co. cartridge. Maybe a 56-50 Spencer round??????
 
Pretty sure it is copper. I looked around for the past while and it does look to be a 56-50 Spencer. But I am sure there are some experts around here that could tell us for sure.
 
It appears to have a slight bottleneck which would make it a 56-52 which was interchangeble with 56-50 Spencer.
 
wow that is in great condition. i would have to agree with green on this one. lol ive been looking at alot of spencer l8ly

on another note, the "H" can be one of 3 stamps, but in fact is winchester. if it was an h inside a circle, it would be winchester repeting arms, and if it was modern, h would be hornady.
 
wow that is in great condition. i would have to agree with green on this one. lol ive been looking at alot of spencer l8ly

on another note, the "H" can be one of 3 stamps, but in fact is winchester. if it was an h inside a circle, it would be winchester repeting arms, and if it was modern, h would be hornady.

Haha, I don't think it is a Hornady round :)

I tried to get a good picture of the base but not enough light. It is just a capital "H" like the one below:

1-56-56SpencerH.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom