Help with Mortimer London

Harvick29

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I received a old shot gun from my Grandfathers estate and would like some help identifying it. I no almost nothing about old firearms and any help would be greatly appreciated! It looks to be a double barrel 12 gauge percussion shotgun. The only marking I can make out on it are Mortimer on the side of the gun right under the hammers and London on top of the barrels. I will try to get some pic’s posted by the end of the week.
 
A friend of mine just bought one. If it's percussion it will be deemed antique status by the CFC. It is damascus I would assume? Mortimers occasionally have serial numbers on the watertable but more often than not were not numbered. I googled it a while back and there's a fair bit of info out there.

Ryan
 
Mortimer's were gunmakers in England for almost 300 years, IIRC. Ending about the time cartridge arms were becoming popular.
The guns range in quality from average to exceptional. I use an old Mortimer 12ga single fowler for most of my shotgun hunts.
 
GetAttachment.aspx
 
If you can remove the barrels, there should be proof marks.
Looks to be a medium quality gun in average condition.
 
Back
Top Bottom