Henry or Sharps

Pick

  • Henry lever action 44 cal

    Votes: 39 51.3%
  • Sharps

    Votes: 37 48.7%

  • Total voters
    76
Shooting The Sharps '63

Had my Shiloh .50 cal '63 carbine to the range yesterday after having a higher blade front sight installed.

Results - consistent sub-2" three shot groups from the bench at 50 yds., right on point of aim. One zinger of a three shot group that measured 3/4" centre-to-centre; two rds overlapping.
For this, I used the 200 yd ladder sight for the finer rear notch, which raised the point of impact 8" at 50 yds.

I had six 55 gr FFg loads only, the rest being rolled with a .54/60 gr Pyrodex pellet. There were such compressed loads in the era, but BP is more fun. Smells better too. Both loads shoot into the same group.

Bullet was the Lyman 515141 sized .510, lubed with SPG. All rounds were made with light onion skin paper. Combustion was virtually complete with the occasion 3/4" strip of glued area unburned.

Due to the cold, the grease packed in the breech cavity could not do it's thing and the action became stiff to open after 5-6 rds. This was cured by swiping the breech face of the barrel with a dampened patch between shots. A soldier of the era would have used his wet fingertip or kept a wet bandana handy.

I swabbed the bore with one wet and one dry patch between groups. Didn't fire past 50 due to failing light, but anticipate at least 6-8" groups at 100 yds. Good enough for deer at that range, but marginal for bear beyond 50.
Doesn't hit hard enough.

In my opinion, based on owning three Shiloh '63s, the Sharps would be one of the first to become disabled in the field. Why? Cleaning.

To properly clean a '59/'63 breechblock, you must (a) pry off the shear plate, (b) remove the side flash hole clean out screw, (c) remove and clean the nipple.

This requires carefully prying up the shear (gas) plate with two narrow screw drivers and another screw driver to remove the flash hole screw. And of course, the standard musket nipple wrench.
The Pedersolis use different technology, so this applies to the Shilohs only.

Failure to do these things will result in a 'frozen' gas plate which means no gas sealing. Failure to remove the flash hole screw and clean the flash hole means no ignition. For this, pipe cleaners are essential.

I've removed the plate by hand once (never again!), preferring to wait until I get home where I put the breech block in padded vise jaws to remove all parts necessary. The whole process is labour intensive and takes me at least an hour to do properly.
While at the range, I clean the bore and flush the breechblock with cleaning solution.

I can't see a Civil War soldier with the tools or the smarts to do this on a regular basis when he is on campaign, dog tired and hungry after a battle. It's my guess that a lot of Sharps were rendered 'unserviceable' under field conditions.
 
How many of you 'armchair tacticians and ballisticians' have any first hand experience with any of the rifles in the poll or were ever soldiers?

The only one I don't own or have experience with is the Spencer. Anyone who thinks the Henry has "major problems", is weak or deficient in any way has never fired one. I have an "Improved Henry" as well, the '66, the first rifle to bear the Winchester name, and prefer the Henry for it's weight and accuracy.

Most infantry and cavalry fighting are 'up close and personal' affairs. Firepower outweighs all other factors. If heavy hitting calibres were all that important, our troops would still be armed with the FAL FN C-1 7.62mm and not the 5.56mm 'poodle shooter'.
We aren't dropping horses any more, but we do have to contend with body armour.
Then and now, a wounded soldier is more of a liability than a dead one. He requires many people to tend his wounds, transport him, feed him, etc. That strains resources. A dead man is simply buried.

Again, I refer you to Peter Schiffer's book on shooting all the guns mentioned here and more. He also researched the contemporary official impressions of these arms and their battle records.
Well put, and +2...
I have a Henry in 45 colt that I shoot with BP...I get 45-50 shots before having to clean the action/swab the barrel....Most battles were up close and personal, good enough for the 44 rimfire....No regiment that was armed with the Henry ever lost a battle.....The lever action on the Henry is very smooth....I also have a 1863 Robinson (Confederate) Sharps, and yes, after 5-6 shots, you have to clean out the action, and the lever action gets very tough to open...Not very handy during a battle....Also take into account that the Sharps used paper/linen cartridges which could be fragile and susceptible to the elements (moisture).....I also have never had a problem with blowback from my Sharps...As for accuracy, my Henry beats the Sharps very time....I would take the Henry every time.....But as to the "Spencer" question, well, that is another topic!.. I just love the way it handles and looks, although the lever action is rather stiff....
 
Spencer repro availability

Taylor and others are making Spencer repros.

Anyone bringing them into Canada? Anyone had experience with any of them? Would it be possible to import one through a dealer?

I understand that they have a heavy trigger pull due to the design.
I can live with that for the fun of shooting one.
 
Taylor and others are making Spencer repros.

Anyone bringing them into Canada? Anyone had experience with any of them? Would it be possible to import one through a dealer?

I understand that they have a heavy trigger pull due to the design.
I can live with that for the fun of shooting one.

No one is bringing in the Spencer at this time....My friend bought one through a Buffalo gun shop...They do the paper work, bring it to the border, you meet them there, pay the taxes, and off you go....The cost for the Taylor Spencer, total, about$2500.00 CDN....And that was about 5 years ago.....
 
Spencer repros

Ellwood Epps is bringing in some Spencers in 44-40 and 45 Colt. The 56-50 is a special order at a higher price.

Dies from CH-4D are special order at $150 and may necessitate a long wait.

Doc Rowland can also bring them in direct from Chiappa.
 
I was watching you tube, weapons of the civil war, and it stated that the US government only acquired 1700 henry's, the rest where all private purchases, while at the same time, the US government purchased over 130000 Spencer's
 
Back
Top Bottom