Hepburn rifle

chasseur

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 98.9%
90   1   0
Location
, Nova Scotia
Anyone here shoot a Hepburn rifle, I m thinking on buying one and would like to if anyone has any experience with them good bad or otherwise.The rifle I plan on buying is a sporting rifle and plan on using it mainly for deer hunting and at the range.
 
I have one but it is a long time since I have shot it. As I recall mine would only shoot paper patched bullets accurately but part of that may have been my reloading knowledge at the time. Mine is in 40-70 Sharps straight and being a frugal (cheap) bugger, I made a short version of the shell from 303 shells blown out straight

My only criticism of the gun as I recall was that the thumb lever for opening was not as easy as a Sharps or a highwall with their longer levers and being able to use your whole hand. If the price is right, I don't see any difference from any other single shot rifle

cheers mooncoon
 
Are you looking at an original or modern gun and what chambering? Please tell us more with pics if you can.

I would love to get a Hepburn someday but don't know a lot about some of the original .44 chamberings or if I would want to get into paper patching or breach seating which was common for rifles to be set up for in that period.
 
I have 2 original Hepburns; a 45-70 and a scarce 44-100 Remington. Both fun to shoot, no issues, but I've never really sandbagged them or played with loads to determine group size.
 
I have one in 40-70 SS and it works fine but I have not sand bagged it and any single shot is a good gun in my eyes
 
Back
Top Bottom