'holy grail' of canadian military handgun collecting acquired!

After considerable delay (.... too many projects, too little time .....) I have finally gotten around to bringing my original London Navy revolver into full firing condition!

The main thing was acquiring a set of new nipples threaded to fit original revolvers, then soaking the cylinder so I could remove the rather rusted and battered original nipples. The new nipples I received (from Track of the Wolf) are marked "Colt" on one shoulder ..... and went in without a hitch. (Never fear, the original nipples have been preserved.)

Although the revolver is fully functional, and operates crisply and cleanly, it had a couple of apparent problems:
- the nipple shanks seemed too short (although the original and new nipples were the same) so that I was not getting sufficient contact to fire a cap. (This may have been part and parcel of the next problem ....)
- also, there seemed to be a very excessive gap between the cylinder face and the the rear of the barrel, and the cylinder was free to shift forward on the axis pin to close up the gap .... which undoubtedly contributed to the failure of the hammer to make positive contact with the nipples.

I accordingly fashioned a "washer" from brass shim stock to keep the cylinder positioned further forward, with a much smaller cylinder/barrel gap. This, in turn, required that each nipple be shimmed out somewhat. Having fiddled with that to get it "right", the revolver now fires each cap without difficulty. One great advantage of these original-configuration nipples is that a standard #11 percussion cap fits perfectly, and grips the shank of the cone quite firmly .... so firmly, in fact, that a well- seated unfired cap is quite a chore to remove! What a joy after having experienced sloppy-fitting caps on various reproduction revolvers, which must be pinched out of round to grip the nipple at all, and still often come loose .....

On another note, I have today completed arrangements to have an English-style case made for this revolver by William Shumate ("Bill's Cases" - http://www.billscases.com/index.htm) which will, of course, nicely accommodate the reproduction "Canada Commemorative" London Navy I also have.) Although I have made pistol cases before, I have heard such good things about the work done by this craftsman - for quite reasonable prices - that I decided to let him do the work!

The standard layout of a London Navy casing seems to have varied very little, and is like this:

London_04a.jpg


London_01.jpg


London_13a.jpg


I have always preferred green for a gun-case lining, so that is what I have ordered.
 
Haven't actually shot it yet! Just got it finished today .... and of course the range is closed for construction.

(Mind you, we could always head out to your parent's farm with it ..... :D )
 
I ordered up a case from Bill's

It is ok but by no means what I would call a great. It didn't arrive looking like I had hoped and not like the ones you picture. (no nipple wrech slot, no divider between caps and flask etc. It actually was different than the pics he shows for his 1851 case on his website. The top lining detached and fell of revealing that it was cardboard wrapped in felt. The front lock brass also fell out.

If yours is good, let's see some pics and maybe I would order another that is more correct but caveat emptor.
 
Mmmmm ..... that is a bit worrisome, CM .... :rolleyes: Did you just order a standard 1851 case as shown on his website? (That is the American type, whereas I have arranged for him to do an English-style casing, like those shown in post #42, as more appropriate to a London factory revolver. I hope he comes through ....)

I have built a few pistol cases of my own in the past, but it can be quite time consuming and exacting, so decided to give him a try, based on the recommendations of some other folks. (In my experience, gluing the lining material onto stiff card stock is probably the most common - and most effective - way of doing the lid lining, by the way .....)

At any rate, I do hope mine turns out OK .....
 
I ordered the standard 1851 case but it still was different than what is shown.

Its not bad for the price I suppose but maybe I was just unlucky.

Shoot some pics when yours comes in...who knows, I may give him another try.
 
Back
Top Bottom