Hot or Full House ammo?

pageophile

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
Location
Edmonchuk, AB
Hello Gents,

Been poking around the forum and internet for a bit but this one has me kind of stumped.

I'll hear something like this: The S&W Model 29 is great just don't run hot or full house loads in them. If you want to push it, get a Ruger Redhawk or Super Redhawk.

I'm not even going to step into the S&W versus Ruger debate (love them both) ;) but what exactly constitutes a hot or full house load?

If I pick-up a box of Winchester 240gr 44MAG from the local shop is considered a "full house" round?

I know the +p and +p+ ammo is higher pressure but you usually only find 9mm and 45ACP marked as such.

Sorry if I'm not getting this across right but try to be nice to the silly man

:redface:
 
Last edited:
"...don't run hot or full house loads in them..." Nonsense for the most part. 'K' frame .357 Mag Smiths don't like a steady diet of hot or magnum loads, but no M29 I've ever heard about had any issues.
"...a "full house" round..." That's just a factory load. There is 'Rifle' .44 mag ammo. Sold in 20 round boxes and isn't good for any handgun.
 
i have heard many times over the years that hot loads will loosen up the Model 29 before the Rugers, and while the S&W is a nicer gun the Ruger will stand up to those heavy loads better over time. Most factory .44 Mag. loads of 240 grs or more would be considered fairly heavy, although handloads such as the Keith load and 300+ grain bullets with full cases of H-110 or some such, are what they are talking about.
 
Typical factory .44 Magnum performance is a 240-250 grain bullet at around 1180-1275 fps. S&Ws will stand up well to this sort of thing. Where they come up short in terms of durability is with heavier bullets at magnum velocities or trying to push the 240-250 grain bullets faster than about 1400 fps. This is where the Ruger shines.
 
"...don't run hot or full house loads in them..." Nonsense for the most part. 'K' frame .357 Mag Smiths don't like a steady diet of hot or magnum loads, but no M29 I've ever heard about had any issues.
"...a "full house" round..." That's just a factory load. There is 'Rifle' .44 mag ammo. Sold in 20 round boxes and isn't good for any handgun.

Rifle 44mag ammo is a gimmick. The 25gr H110 load with a 240gr bullet, is the most you'll ever push a 44mag, and it's just fine and dandy like sour candy in a revolver. Bruce (H4831), gave me heck one time when I said the same thing. Considering he worked that load up before I was born, I'm gonna trust that it hasn't killed him yet :p

If you really want to get the 44mag to perform, you gotta load it yourself. Or find some Buffalo Bore ammo, which I've never heard of being available in Canuckistan. Consider, that factory 44mag, runs about a dollar per round. I bought cast lead 240gr bullets, about 9 cents each, primer is about 4 cents. Powder, if you use max loads of H110, it'll be about 10 cents, Mid range loads with Unique, would be under 5 cents each. Brass, I found once fired from the EE (smacdonald) 10 cents, and they'll last for quite a few firings. So first firing in the brass costs me 33 cents per round, then 23 cents after.

I fire these through my Ruger SuperBlackhawk, so I feel great about the 25 gr load. If I were using a model 29, I'd have paid about $500 more for it, and being a double action, it is a bit less accepting of abuse, so I'd most likely limit my loads to 23 gr, which is the book max in my Speer Manual.

ETA Anyone who wants to prove me wrong is more than welcome to purchase as much 44mag rifle ammo as they'd like, and I promise I will shoot it all through my Super BlackHawk. Pm for address to send ammo to ;)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom