How to remove a really stuck jag??

Coleman fuel is naphtha. A really clean gasoline without all the crappy additives (like benzine).

Correct - I forgot my basic organic chemistry!

I got back a ratty, scorched cotton patch, brass jag with an adapter and a broken range rod tip - jag and adapter still usable.
 
do this at the range Just put a little 4f in the nipple hole may be difficult now if its all soked with oil and won't go off but I have used this to remove a stuck Jag at the range at a shoot and when practicing
Don't do it at home do it at the range this method will also remove stuck ball when you have forgotton powder you shake in a little 4f in after removing the nipple the replace nipple and fire it down range at the berm
 
I got one stuck on my first rifle many years ago- thee ramrod fitting was put on with white glue!!!
Some FFFG down the flash hole and reinstalled the nipple- BOOOM!! Out she came.
Didn't take much.
Cat
 
Odds are freezing water will stand just as much chance of bursting your barrel. If it's a tight seal the grease will work.
Heating a bit may char the cloth enough to get it out without damaging the barrel...old wrought iron barrels are soldered, brazed and otherwise hot worked at higher temperatures with no I'll effects (low carbon negates the need to anneal as well).


Seating the whole mess down against the patent breech, trickling a grain or two of powder in and firing it out is yet another option. Depends what your jag is made of - if its steel or has steel fittings it may mar the bore on departure.

You could also preheat the barrel then eye-dropper some gas or ether in there then put a cap on and fire it if you wanted to get fancy... might avoid having to seat it back against the breech but I'm not sure about that... all I know if that gas in a heated vessel is one hell of a propellant.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom