How to send an antique home to the USA?

gunzik

Regular
Uber Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
485   0   0
Location
Calgary
Hello Antique denizens! Sorry if there's a thread on this already, please point me to it. The sad search tool didn't turn one up for me. Half the time I can't even find my own postings...

I have a 1895 Colt, antique by US standards and prohibited forever by our own geniuses. Has anyone had any experience sending these poor little (prohibs) safely home?

I would imagine, since it's antique in the USA, that shipping it only requires proof for CFC to de-register.

Do you use an importer? Has anyone done this?

Thanks in advance!
 
I've shipped a three antiques to the USA. Just package it up and include documentation proving its antique (by USA) status. The problem in your case is that it is a prohib in Canada. Is it really a prohib or simply a restricted? In either case, you will need to check the law on shipping within Canada to the US border. Once it reaches the border, you have no problem (provided it has the antique status proof enclosed.
 
Thanks, Win! Yes, prohibited. In the dreaded, deadly .32, but apparently only 11,000 made before the end of 1898. Nice shape.

I'll call my CFO and find out how that Short-Term ATT will work to the Post Office. It might have to start with the CFC giving a reference number to de-register by shipping to America. They'll tell me, I'm sure.

Next, find it a safe new home in the USA.
 
Correct.

Short term ATT to post office.

Documentation in the box with a quick explanation why (it's prohib in Canada, antique in the U.S.)

Once your firearm arrives in the states, contact the CFC to de-register it. I know there's a certain burden of proof required to prove it's no longer in your possession, though I forget what it is.
 
Back
Top Bottom