I.D. Flintlock pistol?

Niggles

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
53   0   1
Location
Huntsville
What`s this & what's it worth?

Thanks!

cimg0107l.jpg


http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/6949/cimg0107l.jpg
 
Last edited:
I see a flat lockplate with a broken frizzen spring.

I also see a very European-style butt and buttstraps.

I would venture possibly 1740, made likely in England, possibly decorated on the Continent, likely for sale in the East.

WISH we had better photos.

This one is nice!
 
Really? That nice? It's for sale at a local auction tomorrow. Was considering attending if it was anything special.

And idea as to value? If I can get it cheap I'll pass on it for cheap to someone here if there is interest. Not really my thing.
 
The photo isn't loading well at all for me.
What I can see makes me think I would not be inclined to pay much for it.
 
Wish there were better pics of her, broken spring- but I like the inlay. Is that a crack under the inlay close to the muzzle and running down to the lock? Looks like it coild be fresh wood, or is it the light?
jan.
 
I think I'll go, couple other things of interest and I am bored. Will try to post better pics around 10:30 am est. tommorow if anyone wants to be poking around this thread about that time to help me get an idea on what a safe price would be.
 
It is old and could clean up to be quite pretty but it is only a wall hanger as is or a serious project to restore it to shooting condition. Either way I wouldn't put more than a hundred bucks into it.
 
Without laying hands on it and with the quality of the pictures taken into consideration. To me (and I'm no expert) it looks like an artificially antiqued replica from India. The frizzen appears stamped, not cast or milled, there is no ram rod visible, the pan appears flat (or very shallow) and I think I see paint on the ####. The jaws look a little dodgy as well, where do you put the flint? The screw is right through the middle leaving no room.
Again, just my 2 cents and it is hard to tell from pictures.
 
yeah looks to be a decorative piece make sure wash your hands that patina most likely came from it sitting in animal s*** of some sort (alot of the fakes coming out of these places are that way the khyber pass fakes are no exception)
 
They announced it as a replica so I didn't bid. Sold for $25. Also when I looked down the barrel I saw screws protruding through into the chamber, so that didn't sit well with me.

Glad I didn't bother.
 
Back
Top Bottom