ID and price help please

the last one is a French "Tabatière" breech loading rifle converted to 12 gauge.
Sometimes these are called "Zulu" guns.
The one I saw yesterday at the gun show had Zulu stamped on the barrel.
 
I sold a ZULU in here I think about 3 years ago, and it didn't sell right away, for $175 shipped. It had ZULU marked on the bbl, but did not have that breech lock (part marked IMPROVED). I recall mine had probably worse metal finish than yours, mine required wool, oil and elbow grease. I'd be guessing harder at the value of your Martini. If bore is excellent (and I'd try a field headspace gauge in it) my guess is 250 shipped at the most, maybe a bit less.
 
I sold a ZULU in here I think about 3 years ago, and it didn't sell right away, for $175 shipped. It had ZULU marked on the bbl, but did not have that breech lock (part marked IMPROVED). I recall mine had probably worse metal finish than yours, mine required wool, oil and elbow grease. I'd be guessing harder at the value of your Martini. If bore is excellent (and I'd try a field headspace gauge in it) my guess is 250 shipped at the most, maybe a bit less.

You could almost double the above estimate on the Martini. I'd suspect you've already had several PM'S offering to buy it... if it's still available, lol.
Martini Henry's command good coin I've found.
 
The receiver on the Martini looks wiped to me.
No butt disk - trade pattern?
Front sight looks like aftermarket but cannot make it out completely
Cocking indicator seems a bit oddly shaped?

Need better pics to tell for sure.
 
locally the Zulu would sell for about $75 to $100 and would take a while to sell. The two 22 rimfires around $100 each. The martini looks in fairly tired condition and probably around $300. The martinis which sell for considerably more also have a lot better finish and full wood and probably in 450-577 or 303 calibers

cheers mooncoon
 
I think Martinis with an upper tang are generally worth considerably more than the smaller action without a tang. I might be a bit low on the Martini but as always, the rubber hits the road with real cash offers which are much tougher to produce than our armchair appraisals. I don't think I'm that low on it or I've really undersold a couple. I think the above piece would sell well to a backup gun or truck gun buyer. Just for interest here's a desirable (larger) one without a tang, bbl'd in 450 Nitro Express
elephant gun by https://www.flickr.com/photos/153105839@N03/
 
Last edited:
I think Martinis with an upper tang are generally worth considerably more than the smaller action without a tang. I might be a bit low on the Martini but as always, the rubber hits the road with real cash offers which are much tougher to produce than our armchair appraisals. I don't think I'm that low on it or I've really undersold a couple. I think the above piece would sell well to a backup gun or truck gun buyer. Just for interest here's a desirable (larger) one without a tang, bbl'd in 450 Nitro Express
elephant gun by https://www.flickr.com/photos/153105839@N03/

You may be right upon reflection. Everyone seems to want them, lots of tire kickers... precious few that will drop the coin. I've a re'bbl'd M-E, marvelous gun...put it up before. Lots of people interested at 400, just seemed a touch high for its condition. Sort of unusual as the actions command good $$$... perhaps it's a niche thing?
 
JMHO, have owned all at least once, Savage 22-$150+-, Zulu I shot black powder compition with (years ago) about $125+, and Martini $400.

Those prices seem to be the general consensus. I tried explaining to the old guy that he doesn't have hidden treasures but I guess watching Pawn Stars has convinced him otherwise.
Oh well I tried. Thank-you all for the responses and on a positive note I have learned a lot about these guns.
 
Those prices seem to be the general consensus. I tried explaining to the old guy that he doesn't have hidden treasures but I guess watching Pawn Stars has convinced him otherwise.
Oh well I tried. Thank-you all for the responses and on a positive note I have learned a lot about these guns.

The worst is when they say that they "did some research online and this is what they are going for" when all they did was go to a certain online auction site and see what the overly optimistic opening or "buy it now" price is. They never seem to look at what the items actually have SOLD for. Then there's the "experts" that say on item is worth huge money without any idea of what said item is worth.
I buy and restore antique radios. I had a guy offer me one. I offered $400. He VERY snidely (rudely) proceeded to tell me that an "expert" in Britain valued it at $2,000.00. I replied that to check that price he should offer it to said expert for $1000.00. He later offered it to me for $150.00. Yes, one hundred and fifty. I declined just because.
 
Back
Top Bottom