Identify this musket please?

kodiakjack

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Location
WMU 90
Alright folks. What can you tell me about this musket? A friend just inherited it, and wants to know the history of it. These are the only pics he sent me. If you need more, I'll see what I can do, but it took forever just to get these. Thanks for your help!

photo5_zpse7b6e8db.jpg
[/URL]

photo4_zpse6db1b93.jpg
[/URL]

photo3_zps03baab7f.jpg
[/URL]

photo2_zps7298ac03.jpg
[/URL]

photo1_zps4b9e4467.jpg
[/URL]
 
Well, for one thing, it won't be a musket, as that term refers to a smoothbore military gun. What you show there definitely looks to be an American longrifle, or possibly a European piece that has had a number of American style inlays installed. The buttplate definitely is American style, but the capbox looks European. It would sure help to see the barrel, as all we are seeing is the lock and stock.
 
very puzzling; the wood in the first photo looks almost like a recent build but the inletting and lock etc look mid 1800s although I find it a bit strange to have the butt plate that loose. Also strange that the oval plaque on the butt appears to be upside down. Perhaps it came loose and was glued back in upside down.

It does not look at all like a jaeger to me and without a barrel it could be a fowler or a rifle

cheers mooncoon
 
very puzzling; the wood in the first photo looks almost like a recent build but the inletting and lock etc look mid 1800s although I find it a bit strange to have the butt plate that loose. Also strange that the oval plaque on the butt appears to be upside down. Perhaps it came loose and was glued back in upside down.

It does not look at all like a jaeger to me and without a barrel it could be a fowler or a rifle

cheers mooncoon

Yeah, I missed the butt plate, def looks long rifle but the lock plate looks European. With all the appliques maybe it's an old kit gun someone has tried to dress up. That's what the fit and finish suggests. And that patch box isn't Jaeger either now that I consider it. No makers mark or name on the lock plate either.... Again pointing to a kit or Indian (the ones from Asia) knock-off.
More pics would be better too..
 
The lock kinda strikes me as the type that is on the belgian 1/2 stock fowlers that are common in Canada. Mind you this example seems a bit dressed up.
 
I strongly suspect that the lock is belgian and like all of the metal parts, is from the mid 1800s. The inlays (I assume they are inlaid), are very well done which leads me to think the stock is old but I am coming to wonder if the butt plate was missing and a new one fitted although a little poorly. That might explain why the top rear portion of the butt appears to have been sanded and refinished and as before possibly the oval brass piece may have fallen out and been refastened or glued in place

cheers mooncoon
 
Definitely has the Belgian look to the lock-also the game birds cast into the plate suggest it is a fowler. Just guesses at this time, need to see proof marks on the barrel underside to be more positive.
 
I'm not sure if the inlays are vintage. I think they were put on much later. some are pinned some are inlays and some just on the surface.
also the lid on the patchbox is on upside down.
 
Back
Top Bottom