Identifying a Kar 1871

H Wally

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
193   0   0
Hi guys, afraid I'm going to have to pose this question without pictures.

I know most Kar71's look like this:
261.jpg


but were there any others, original or conversions? I've been asked about one identical to this in markings and design, except that it has a nose cap with stacking rod built into the nose cap, and the muzzle projects past the nose cap by likely 3-4 inches (that's a guess for length). The buyer says that it has Mod 71 stamped on it, but also some illegible letters above "St. Denis" The nose cap does not have a bayonet lug. The bolt handle is turned down. Rear sight is Mod71 version.

Anyone have an idea? I know I should own Gun Digest Books' "Mauser; Military Rifles of the World", but I sadly don't, so am hoping you guys might give a hint.



P.S. I see that the turks converted 71/84's to single shot, but they're visible conversions. This gun doesn't look converted, or if it was, it was done so that only new carbine version parts were used, and done very well.
 
With the St-Denis marking it has to be a French conversion Mauser-Dovitis in 6.5 Daudeteau made for export to Uraguay in the late 19th Century. Could have been in the hands of Bubba at some point, nose cap does not sound right and without photos it is hard to tell.


ht tp://littlegun.info/arme%20francaise/artisans%20s%20z/a%20soc%20fr%20armes%20port%20gb.htm
 
Last edited:
After the Franco-Prussian war a number of the German states issued cut down and modified French Chassepot rifles as carbines. This was a temporary issue until enough Mauser 1871 carbine were available.
See
German Military Rifles and Machine Pistols, 1871-1945 By Gotz, Hans-Dieter
The German Rifle By Walter, John (Book - 1979)
All the French conversion Mauser-Dovitis I have seen pictures of are rifles and have a cleaning rod on the side of the stock, similar to the cleaning rods on the 1892 Mannlicher-Berthier carbines.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom