I'm grey in black powder world

Wishalot

Regular
Rating - 100%
89   0   0
Location
Eastern Ontario
I am interested in black powder in an old percussion firearm, not the newer firearms flooding the market. Is there a Canadian source for good reproduced old style hawkens, etc. I have been reading every manner of book on black powder from squirrel guns to shotguns, projectiles, shot, etc. however, finding a source for a left hand model of a percussion rifle leaves me in a " grey " zone. Any advice appreciated.
 
Last edited:
I am interested in black powder in an old percussion firearm, not the newer firearms flooding the market. Is there a Canadian source for good reproduced old style hawkens, etc. I have been reading every manner of book on black powder from squirrel guns to shotguns, projectiles, shot, etc. however, finding a source for a left hand model of a percussion rifle leaves me in a " grey " zone. Any advice appreciated.

IMHO... find a tc hawken rifle in left hand. Put a WTB add in the EE forum and sit back and wait.They are out there,just might take a little time but they do pop up.
 
I just checked out the Traditions line of Hawken style rifles.I have been eyeing one up in 50 cal but here is what I see....hardwood stock:rolleyes: as compared to the walnut stock on a tc firearm...looks like a round barrel on a Traditions as compared to a octagon barrel on a tc...I would think that the bluing on a tc would be way better also. The Traditions is available in a left hand model,but so is the tc. I guess it boils down to this...if you want a really nice hawken wait for a tc model to come up.

If classics are not your concern then a traditions rifle might fill the bill for you. Cabelas has them in stock and the price is about $350.00 or so. I cant knock a Traditions rifle as I dont own one or have held one or shot one but this is just my .02 cents worth from checking out the traditions website. But I do own a tc hawken in 54 cal and must say,the bluing is really nice,fit and finish are excellent,beautiful double triggers,nice brass work,very nice walnut stock...If it was me...go with the tc rifle..
 
I have a flintlock traditions penslyvannia long rifle in .50 caliber, i really like it and its got good accuracy with 80 grains of FFFG and a .490 round ball with pillow ticking for a patch. The wood to metal fit is near perfect and is vernocely stained with a rich bluing on the barrel.

The only problem i have with it is that I think the touchhole is a little small, its has to be cleaned every shot to keep from having a misfire. If i clean the touchhole between every shot with a vent pick I can shoot pretty much all day with almost no fouling in the barrel.

They are well made and a good deal for the price.

Good luck!! Check out track of the wolf for all your gear and suppilies once you get your gun they are great to deal with and ship to canada no problem!

Cheers, McLean
 
Ellwood Epps (a sponsor) has a Left hand Lyman Deerstalker .50 cal flintlock for $500.36.

A friend has one of these. His son just shot a 350-400 lb bear with it. Great rifle.
 
Hillfolk Muskets Supplies

Doug and Beckie Middleton, P.O. Box 64, Senlac Sk.
S0L 2Y0 306 228-2949.

*insert whacky thumbs-up emicolon here*

Small operation, excellent service!
 
Back
Top Bottom