Info and help finding a .36 cal Muzzleloader?

Mean Steak

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Location
Central Alberta
I have been toying around with the idea of getting a .36 cal muzzleloader for a while now. Something about a small bore squirrel gun sounds fun.
Do any of you fellows have any experience with these? How do they shoot?
Have any of you built one from a kit?
What are the loads like? 20-30 grains?
Would it be good for gophers? :)
I was looking at the Traditions and the T/C but I can't seem to find one. Lots of .50 cal rifles but no .36
Any helpful info about these would be nice.
Thank you in advance.
 
Greetings-My experience is that these smaller bore rifles like a little more powder than you would think. They tend to coke up after 4 or 5 shots if you use a light load. I tend to use about 45 grains in a 40 cal and have used 40 grains in my 36. These seemed to work best. As for gophers should be a hoot. Would like to try it myself sometime going along with a friend using his .223 for comparison. Most shots should be at 40-50yds and well within reason for the front stuffer. Cheers
 
I have revolvers that shoot .36 cal and the balls measure out to .374" but I suspect a rifle would take a different size ball, just quessing at .350"
Not sure how well supported this calibre rifle is in terms of supplies? .
 
I actually bought a .350 bullet mould by accident at a gun show last year. I meant to buy a .375 for my revolver.
So instead of getting rid of it I thought I'll just get a rifle to match.... and I really want to shoot gophers with one :D
 
I shoot a 32 cal Dixie Poor Boy and it definitely likes more powder than I would have expected. I shoot 25 to 30 grains of 3F to get my best group. I tried 15 grains and it was significantly less accurate with that load.

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom