Info needed on Stevens Model 44 Rifle please

graydog

CGN frequent flyer
GunNutz
Rating - 100%
610   0   0
Location
Okanagan, BC
Hi
I have a chance to buy a stevens model 44 rifle in caliber 38-55 oct barrel. My questions are, are these rifles safe to shoot and approx what value from least to most, what do they sell for. This rifle is a full oct barrel with a globe front sight and rear tang sight. There is a rear sight on the barrel but I do not think it is orginal. It has a Swiss butt plate. Both front and rear wood have repairs done to them but look ok. Bore looks good. Blue left on the gun I would gues from 30 to 50% Any and all help on this matter would be much appreciated.
Thanks
 
While somewhat rare, the value is not what you may think, the action is one of the weakest of all the old single shots and is not suitable for conversion except to another low pressure cart.(read black powder). Pressure must be kept very low and it is not recommended to use smokeless powder in any of the central fire 44s. The 44 1/2 is a different story and much more capable of handling somewhat higher pressures, and their value will be at least double of the 44. If you like the look of the old Stevens SS, CPA can build you a new copy of the 44 1/2, that is capable of handling high intensity CF cartridges.
So unless you plan to take it to a gunsmith first, and are prepared to use black powder loads only, give this one a miss. Value may be $600 at a show but this is for people either unaware of it's strength(or lack of) or folks that just want a neat old gun to hang on the wall. The Stevens 44 action is one of the few old actions that are not usually given a new life with a new barrel, some are relined and converted to rimfire, where it is strong enough, barely...IMHO
 
I would double what Ben said; they were made in 32-40 but that chambering was discontinued because they loosened up when high velocity smokeless shells were introduced (and used). I paid about $250 for the one that I currently have and I think local prices would be more in the $300 - $400 range unless they were in exceptional condition. We are presuming that the gun is a model 44 and not a 44 1/2 which is a true falling block but both have the number 44 on the front of the frame under the forestock.

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom