Info wanted: EDITED: 1809/39 Prussian smoothbore musket

Willy Tincup

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
575   0   1
Location
Owen Sound
I'm looking for additional info about what appears to be an 1849 German or Prussian Naval musket; has been sportorized by cutting the forearm wood back, it has a 40" smoothbore barrel, measures about.733 at the muzzle, percussion cap. Lock is marked with a Crown and HSI or possibly HST over the SUHL. It has nice brass buttplate, trigger guard and barrel band. I also have the original ornate front band and front sight, also in brass. There are 2 different Crowns over the letter K but I cannot find any anchor markings on it. Two [2] places have 1833 stamped on them so not sure if that happens to be a serial # or date of ????.
It is a bit rusty on the metal but solid and has good wood. Is missing the nipple [needs threads chased] and the tang screw but otherwise is complete.

I don't have pictures yet but can take some; just can't post them here. Can email them to someone if they want to post. Would be nice to find out more about this old gal and maybe some ideas on value. I think it can definetly be made to go bang again.

There is info on the internet about them..........but somewhat patchy and conflicting. Some articles say there were only 1200 made. Does the lack of an anchor symbol mean that is not the Naval version and some other ??? Can anybody identify the Crown over K symbols?

EDIT:
I now believe this old gal is an 1809 Prussian musket made in 1833 as a flintlock and in 1839 they started to convert them to Percussion. Still looking for information about the 'K' and the HSI........Please see the pictures in Post # 3.
 
Last edited:
P9120028.jpg

P9120023.jpg
P9120021.jpg
P9120026.jpg
P9120025.jpg
P9120027.jpg
P9120022.jpg
P9120024.jpg
P9120020.jpg
 
I would absolutely not try to clear the barrel by firing it.
Use a worm or screw on a rod.
Muskets of this type were imported in quantity early during the US Civil War.
 
"...think I can discharge it..." Absolutely not. You have no idea what's in there or how long it's been there(That's not as big a deal. Chances of the powder being viable are slim at best). Like Tiriaq says, buy a worm.
 
Back
Top Bottom