Interesting Double.

tiriaq

Super Moderator
Moderating Team
Rating - 100%
252   0   0
Had a look at a British small bore double gun yesterday. One fixed blade and a folding leaf rear sight. Modified Jones type underlever. Unlike most Jones actions, this one had a snap lock feature. Close it, and the lever was released. High quality gun. I assumed that it was a double rifle, but it was smoothbore. Really looked, wasn't oval bored. No evidence that it had been smoothbored, although I did not remove the barrels to look at the proofs. I assume that it was intended to shoot round balls. It is at Accuracy Plus in Peterborough.
 
Sounds like a smooth bore cape style gun which the Brits did produce back in the day. Though not a true cape gun I believe you are correct in that it was designed for hunting using round balls or early type slugs.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom