Is my RCMP letter incorrect?

braun

Regular
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Location
Ontario
I recently asked the RCMP for an antique-status letter for a firearm I described as a "Webley WG 1889, .455/.476 caliber, serial # 25XX."

I received the letter back and the decription of the revolver is:

Make: Webley
Model: WG Army

I don't want to be picky but isn't this a different model than the one I described? The revolver certainly doesn't bear the word "Army" anywhere on it.
Since I'll be shooting targets on Crown Land, I'd kind of like the letter and my revolver to match if a CO happens by! :D
 
You have no problems as the serial number is correct. They are using a generic model name but it is still correct. They stopped putting the calibre designation on the letter a year or so ago.
 
They may have a different terminology for the same gun. For example, it may be the case that the only caliber for the Army Webley was the .455. Regardless, if they sn is correct, you are good to go.
 
They may have a different terminology for the same gun. For example, it may be the case that the only caliber for the Army Webley was the .455. Regardless, if they sn is correct, you are good to go.

Yes No Kidding the S&W DA Frist model has had about 5 diffrent names i just applyed for a S&W DA Frist model long Cylinder model letter today and it comes up like this now...
TOP BREAK No3 DOUBLE ACTION NEW MODEL... LOL

They really like to change that one alot.
I like the new Listing tho as it really covers the Guns discription.
Its top break S&W thats Double Action the Calibers aint been on the letters for awhile now.
 
Thanks everybody, nothing to worry about I guess. I have only one old letter and now this new one - the new ones seem to be lacking in detail.

And why is "Firearms Registry" along thetop of the letter in big block letters?! I assume my name and address is now in a database somewhere...
 
There has been some discussion about this lately and it seems that if you have a pal your requests for antique letters will be associated/recorded with your CFC file.
 
Last edited:
Why get a letter?

It is not required by law. When the non-restricted firearm registry goes away, I certainly won't be rushing to get "letters" for my non-restricteds to say their non-restricted.

Same for antiques, why get a letter when its not required. And no sh!t the RCMP letter is a de facto registration.
 
Why get a letter?

It is not required by law. When the non-restricted firearm registry goes away, I certainly won't be rushing to get "letters" for my non-restricteds to say their non-restricted.

Same for antiques, why get a letter when its not required. And no sh!t the RCMP letter is a de facto registration.

This is exactly what I'm curious about. I have a least half a dozen antique firearms, but I only have 2 or 3 RCMP letters. Since they were obviously antiques, I didn't worry about it. I'm also a verifier and I checked each one in the database just to make sure.
 
Why get a letter?

It is not required by law. When the non-restricted firearm registry goes away, I certainly won't be rushing to get "letters" for my non-restricteds to say their non-restricted.

Same for antiques, why get a letter when its not required. And no sh!t the RCMP letter is a de facto registration.

When your standing out in your backyard in handcuffs because some hotshot RCMP thinks your handgun shouldn't be out of the residence & fired, it MAY be nice to hand him a letter in RCMP format to prove it's antique & your with-in the law!
Much better than spending 10hrs in a cell while under arrest for something not illegial! Not that they would do that....even though they've done it before....& are likely to do it again! IMHO anyway :redface:
 
The letter oddly enough makes alot people feel safer more so for newly indoctrinated antique collectors and fellow shooters.
It's not been unusual for me to have non LEO peeps challenge me about the authenticity of an antique and what that means. It almost like they think you are telling porky pies until you produce the magic piece of paper with RCMP letterhead, go figure. It's not necessary but it sure can be useful under certain circumstances.

The only way I see to make CFC "registry" of antiques neutered is to sell your antique with newly minted paper and "lose" the particulars about the new buyer. This is typically not that hard for me to do passively as my record keeping is less than desirable under the best circumstances. The recorded trail just ended as you have no legal obligation to keep this information. Dingus is probably the single best producer of antique paper on this board, cheers to you sir:cheers:
 
When your standing out in your backyard in handcuffs because some hotshot RCMP thinks your handgun shouldn't be out of the residence & fired, it MAY be nice to hand him a letter in RCMP format to prove it's antique & your with-in the law!
Much better than spending 10hrs in a cell while under arrest for something not illegial! Not that they would do that....even though they've done it before....& are likely to do it again! IMHO anyway :redface:

If they did that, a very expensive lawyer would be getting a call from me... because the RCMP would owe me a sh*tload of money! (multiple charter violations).

;)
 
There has been some discussion about this lately and it seems that if you have a pal your requests for antique letters will be associated/recorded with your CFC file.

I can tell you for a fact that they are. I got an FOI request and my lettered antiques are listed just like my registered guns.
 
Why get a letter?

It is not required by law. When the non-restricted firearm registry goes away, I certainly won't be rushing to get "letters" for my non-restricteds to say their non-restricted.

Same for antiques, why get a letter when its not required. And no sh!t the RCMP letter is a de facto registration.

This is exactly what I'm curious about. I have a least half a dozen antique firearms, but I only have 2 or 3 RCMP letters. Since they were obviously antiques, I didn't worry about it. I'm also a verifier and I checked each one in the database just to make sure.

I got a letter because here in Hamilton if I'm ever stopped by the police with a handgun of any sort and no ATT or antique-status letter I suspect I'll be going down to the station in the back seat at the very least. I also don't have the money to defend myself or my investments from any legal issues that might arise.

Based on discussions in this forum, it also seems like a good idea to have this documentation on hand when shooting on Crown Land in case a CO not knowledgeable about antique handguns stops me. Again, to prevent hassles and possible legal fees/property seizure that I can't afford and would put me in a very bad mood. :)
 
I got a letter because here in Hamilton if I'm ever stopped by the police with a handgun of any sort and no ATT or antique-status letter I suspect I'll be going down to the station in the back seat at the very least. I also don't have the money to defend myself or my investments from any legal issues that might arise.

Based on discussions in this forum, it also seems like a good idea to have this documentation on hand when shooting on Crown Land in case a CO not knowledgeable about antique handguns stops me. Again, to prevent hassles and possible legal fees/property seizure that I can't afford and would put me in a very bad mood. :)

That sounds good and smart to me. :)
 
If they did that, a very expensive lawyer would be getting a call from me... because the RCMP would owe me a sh*tload of money! (multiple charter violations).

;)

For what being detained while they try to establish if you broke a law??

Fine and dandy but at what cost $$$$.
& how about the inconvenance of being detained for 1-2-3hrs!

Just seems easier to carry a slip of paper which also informs uninformed officers.
 
Back
Top Bottom