Janssen sons co. SxS 12g

Hi: I don't usually jump in and post on these threads as there is lots of more learned people in the antique world than me, but I had some chest pains when I saw the ammo displayed there. Please don't shoot any of that or we will be reading about the fella that lost four fingers and one eye when his old shotgun blew up. :eek: and hopefully only four fingers.
Jansen and son were just one of the many names on the old cheaply built Belgium made double barrels made from the 1890's up that were imported into this country around the time the west was being homesteaded 1912- 1920 or so, They sold for about $5.00 or so bucks. My Uncle was a homesteader and a big gun collector so he acquired many of these over the years . As a kid I shot a few with black powder ( my Uncle believed all guns were to be shot) Later in life I realized that most of these should not even be shot with black powder. Their is a little info on The Jansen and son on this link http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=111438
Right off the start measure the chamber-- it will likely be as said in above link 65mm not 2 3/4 which will create dangerous pressure if shot with any kind of American made 70mm shot shells. The barrels being laminated steel are of course Damascus or twist steel but not nearly as well made as the old Parker or LC Smith for example. I am not running down your find, These are a very collectible piece of history, especially Canadian west in my mind, I wish I had some of the ones that my Uncle had, several were like new as most old homesteaders never did find any blood thirsty North American savages to shoot. :confused: :rolleyes: Enjoy your old gun hanging on the wall. I am sure some others on here would have more to add on this subject. Cheers John
 
My book shows a Janssen & Sons Co., Leige, Belgium circa 1890. They made SxS shotguns that ranged in quality from "export" to "fine" using different frame designs.

Note Janssen has two S'.
 
I don't feel there is anything wrong with belgian damascus barrels; I think strength wise they are just as strong as british or american damascus barrels. Parker Bros is reputed to have imported barrels from Belgium at one time. I think the weak point of belgian guns is the lack of finishing in their lock work and generally inexpensive locks.

while I would not shoot smokeless paper shells in the gun, I think that you can shoot 2 3/4" paper shells in a 2 5/8 chamber because the shells are a lot thinner than paper shells. As long as the barrels are sound and not deeply pitted you can also find some smokeless loads which are down around 7000 psi and at least for me have been safe to shoot in my damascus guns. I will qualify that by saying that while I do shoot smokeless handloads in my 12 guage guns, I shoot only black powder in my 20 guage guns becaiuse pressures are a lot higher

cheers mooncoon
 
thanks for the info sofar.
and BSA Jack, dont worry i wouldnt anyways unless i handloaded them with very light charges, i just have them together for display:) old gun-old ammo:)
 
m-134, is the spelling of Janssen with one or two of the letter "S"?

If it is only one I would like to make a notation in my book.

Thanks!
 
Hi. I stand corrected on the two "s" as well. I think from every post of mooncoon's that I have read you can trust his expertise. I have had a couple and do have a high grade Belgium double that is very well made with steel barrels. I just found the old damacus guns with all the different trade names my Uncle had, that if they were used at all were very loose. And no I would not shoot what looks like in the pic, high brass may be magnum loads in one. Funny we should mention Parker in this thread because one of the guns he had, the locks were even stamped Parker and of course was not a Parker :) . Like mooncoon says deep pitting in the barrels is the critical thing and I say if it locks up nice and snug --go for it shoot light loads, life is short have fun, I would. :rockOn:
 
i cleaned the bores with nitro solvent on a brass brush, and finished with a cotton brush with oil and i would personly say the insides are like new (9/10) each barrel does have a very small dent in them though but they are not big at all so i know i would still feel safe shooting it. the out sides of the barrels ar in exelent condition with nice petina on them and i had the action compleatly taken apart and cleaned/polished/oild all the internals.

i just measured the inside of the cmaber, from the begining where the rim goes, to the beging of the cone it measures 2.784", and since thats to the beging on the cone if i remembor corectly that means its safe to shoot 2 3/4" shells. it is a very old gun and they probly didnt have too good of machines, but maybe the chamber was lengthend at some time becouse the cone just doesnt look "right"/normal or factory? i could see circular machine marks all in the cone so if these did come in 2.5" or somthing maybe it was bored out longer.:confused::confused:
 
Last edited:
im wanting to test this baby out, i would do a home load ( 2.75" AA hull, maybe shortend abit incase it has shorter chamber) using HS6 for powder and aprox. 1oz of shot #4, the barrels have aprox. a modified choke are in rather good condition and extreamly shiny. what do yous think would be a good very light load? just to test it i was thinking of maybe trieing 15gr or so of HS6 but i have no idea?:confused:
 
Back
Top Bottom