legalese question

I do not think you will find an official written definition. This was omitted when the FA was written.
In practice, I believe the breeched barrel is considered the equivalent of a receiver.
 
I have gone through this several times in the past couple of years with the CFC when registering caplock rifles and a pistol that I built new and I can't imagine the answer would be different for an antique because all the main parts are the same. Once they understood there wasn't any so-called "action" then we have always agreed that the barrel is the primary component in lieu of an action. Thus, I attach the sticker or engrave the Firearm Identification Number on the barrel (bottom flat). Hope that helps.
 
a detached barrel is a spare part and in many, if not most cases cannot be defined as a percussion or a flint barrel. In the case of modern long arm barrels that means that you cannot define it as modern or antique in a legal sense

cheers mooncoon
 
I was under the impression that the breech plug was the closest thing they could think of... but still is barely applicable most of the time.

Basically, as an antique it isn't a gun, and the CFC get major headaches past that point.
 
Back
Top Bottom