LH Flintock basics

yorgi

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
Location
Toronto, Ontario
I'm toying with the idea of building my first flintlock from parts.
Specifically, I'm looking to build a smoothbore (20 GA) trade-gun with a LH lock.

I see all the parts available at TOW but need some help undestanding the basics of the build. I see a variety of breech plugs on their list but can't find one specifically used for left-handed actions. Excuse my ignorance but shouldn't a breech plug for a leftie lock have the flash pan on the left side?
As for the barrel, I undestand that the flash hole can be oriented in either direction to suit the lock, I'm I wrong here too?

As you can tell, I'm totally new to this, just venting my frustrations of my lack of knowledge on the sudject...

At the end of the day this question could be purely academic, as I do not know if the lock and barrel can be shipped to Canada. Any input would be appreciated.
 
The breechplug that Track sells with the trade gun barrels is just a plain breechplug - works right of left handed. Order the one listed with the barrel. Track will install the plug for you, if you wish. The breechplug would only make a difference if you were using a patent style plug. These are either right or left handed, but weren't used on simple guns like a tradegun. Don't think you will have any problems getting the parts you need. These guns are exempt from US federal regulations.
 
Last edited:
Incidentally, speaking of left hand guns, one of the treasures in my tickle trunk is a little left hand flintlock. Only 4 1/4" long. Semi waterproof pan, stirrup on tumbler, roller on frizzen spring. It is an antique, a new, in the white, never final finished lock. Final polishing, tuning have yet to be done. No castings, everything is forged and filed, pan basin was cut with a cold chisel. I'm assuming it would date to ca 1820. Even though it is a small lock, the way the mainspring is designed, it will fit against a barrel of most any diameter, through musket size. Would be cute on a small pistol, or a dainty fowler.
 
Back
Top Bottom