stevejones
Regular
- Location
- Courtenay, BC
Thanks very much. I applied the red lock tight to the threads so I think it will be fine. Another thought was to have it TIG welded but am sure this will work.
Cheers. SJ
Cheers. SJ
I have done it differently in the past. I drilled the tumbler hole larger and round then silver soldered a bushing in the new hole and drilled the bushing to the correct diameter. Something similar for a loose hammer. The advantage of silver solder on the hammer is that before starting you can mark the corners of the hole with a small cold chisel
Cheers mooncoon
I thought that red heat was something to avoid? Well its done now. Pretty sure it will last a while.
Now for the under rib. Its come off so it will require re-soldering.
I am hoping that as the metal is already tinned from the initial installation that once I clean up both surfaces and apply flux I should not have an issue but....Further to the subject of flux, I was going to use regular plumbers flux. Is there a problem using this? I saw a video of a gunsmith re-soldering a rib. He used steel wire wrapped around the barrel and rib at three points to hold the barrel and rib together. To ensure it was tight he pushed nails between the two at each point that the wire was wrapped to apply pressure. I thought this was a clever and simple way to do it. Then he used a propane torch and 50/50 solder and as he heated the area solder was applied along the barrel and rib. Clean up was with a small chisel and the end of a file ground to 45 degrees.
Cheers. SJ
Thanks very much. I applied the red lock tight to the threads so I think it will be fine. Another thought was to have it TIG welded but am sure this will work.
Cheers. SJ
The rib is completely off and the area looks rough. When i get back into civilization i will post some more pics.
Cheers. SJ



























