Looking for a valuation.

VZ-fan

CGN Regular
Rating - 99.7%
953   3   7
Location
Boreal
Hello folks, any value here other than sentimental value?
This old one was used on the east coast for seabirds, corrosion has ramped up the last ten years on the action it seems.
The hammer and trigger are functional.
The gun had a test load out through it about 30 years ago.

Thank you 🙏 in advance for any information about this gun.



q673QxS.jpg


yPlTzXI.jpg


OiffFAY.jpg


bnH8uNX.jpg


2tPHh87.jpg


kZDuYST.jpg


TyAmGOh.jpg


Nst6BY6.jpg


RmAw97x.jpg


o9rFd1T.jpg


tn0fD5A.jpg
 
I think I would price it about $150 as a wall hanger. What catches my eye is the deep pitting on the lock, the under rib appears to be held on with plastic aluminum or something similar and the barrel looks awfully thin at the muzzle plus a bit of rot at the front of the stock. I won't challenge that it has been shot 30 years ago but it appears gone beyond the point where I would consider bringing it back to life. No doubt some people who know me will shake their heads that I would say such a thing :>) but I think it is a bit far gone for a shooter

cheers mooncoon
 
To me this is no longer a shooter. Yes, somebody was the last to shoot it but I wouldn't want to be the next one. It would cost far more to restore it to presentable condition than it would ever be worth, and even if you were capable of doing some of the work to a reasonable standard yourself it would largely be an exercise in futility. She's very old, badly neglected and very tired and has no collector value other than as a curio, retire her to a wall for a decoration or make a lamp out of it. For those purposes, $100-$150.
 
The above is my thoughts as well, the barrel looks rusted in side, these twist barrels will not stand any corrosion, if it is a genuine, some are steel with "fake" twist pattern.
I look at it and it says English to me, but these are not my expertise.
The rib could be solder, done by a rad, or plump shop, with a torch.
It could be cleaned up a bit , to hang on a wall, if you did it, Gunsmith rates would not make it worth while.
If the wood was better, I could see a value of 200-250.oo If we could figure out the maker may help.
a bore scope would be interesting.
If I was doing it, I have restored ( cleaned up crap) stuff "just because" i would be tempted to chop off the front back to just ahead of the front band and remount the sight.
 
that's the condition of a lot of the old originals out here in NL. never really priced accordingly though unless you are talking to a knowledgeable owner.
generally not worth paying for someone`s sentiments because it was their grandfathers. I usually tell them then to clean and preserve it for future family generations or take what its worth at market value.

looks like the barrel is bent too, but that just might be in the picture
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom