Looking for info colt f1600 .44 black powder

rockready69

Member
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Location
DC B.C.
Hey guys I just inherited a colt f1600 44 never been shot looking on info for what I need to shoot this bad boy I reload my own ammo for my hunting rifles but never payed with black powder any I go and sources for the ammo and what not would be awesome thanks
 
All the local GVRD and Fraser Valley Gun Clubs have a black powder section.

Most of the ranges have a Black Powder Shoot day, go then and ask questions.
 
you dont need wads for revolvers. after seating all the balls, fill the chambers with lard. seals the chambers for no chainfires and lubes as well. Its messier but cheaper as well.
 
Grease over the ball method... Load, fire one shot, see how much grease is left in the chambers on either side of the fired chamber.
 
Have you ever looked to see how much grease remains after the first shot?
A sheared ring of lead is desirable when the ball I seated.
Most chain fires are thought to occur from the breech end of the cylinder.
 
Have you ever looked to see how much grease remains after the first shot?
A sheared ring of lead is desirable when the ball I seated.
Most chain fires are thought to occur from the breech end of the cylinder.

You might be right about the tight fitting ball but also using a dab of bullet lube wont hurt anything at all . Personally I don't know how you would ascertain whether a chain-fire originated from the front or the back...quite simply there is no evidence left at either end...no bullets or caps left at either end. I have been involved in one chain-fire episode ( I was 5 feet to the left of the gun at a "loading table" when a fellows 1860 chained)....more excitement than most hearts can stand at any one time and don't want to be around another. Didn't hurt the gun at all but a sh!t-load of smoke,fire and sparks instantly everywhere.
 
I use grease myself, lube on the ball is a good thing, but whether it prevents chainfires, I don't know. I do know that there is next to no grease after the first shot.
 
Wither you need a wad depends upon the size of the revolvers chambers.

I had an 1860 that cut a nice ring of lead but still fired the top 3 cylinders if no wads were used.

Grease on the end of 6 cylinders tended to disappear at the first shot.
 
Last edited:
I watched the guy standing next to me have a chainfire through his ruger bp revolver. After that I’d use a tight ball, grease, and most important I figure make sure you have snug fitting caps. We’re pretty sure what happened, was the fire leapt from cap to cap he should have used a smaller cap. When it leapt around to the lower chamber, it yanked the gun right out of his hand. Nearly broke his hand and really messed his gun up.
 
Back
Top Bottom