Looking for info on 1861(?) Tower musket

Poparelli

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Location
SW Ontario
I recently acquired a Tower musket, and the internet doesn't seem to be much help. Pictures probably this weekend, in the meantime I'll just describe it.

It's a percussion, action stamped with a crown and TOWER 1860-something. It looks kind of like a 1, but there's some slight pitting and its hard to see. It's 2-band, 48" overall, 31" barrel. Appears to be full original stock with brass cap on the fore end. Brass triggerguard and buttplate. Pretty nice wood (stripe pattern) with 1 small arsenal repair.... Looks to be about .50cal, smoothbore. It has a rudimentary bead-type front sight, no rear sight, and the barrel bands are notched for sighting through. But, it also has cutouts front and rear on the barrel I assume for mounting other sights? All the material I could find online refers to .58cal rifled models which also seem to have completely different sights in the pics.

It has a ramrod with a wide flat head which is tight in the muzzle and also looks nothing like the ones in pics online. The nipple appears to be either totally ruined or replaced with a piece of solid steel. Either way it's heavily peened from the hammer falling on it and no hole visible. Not sure what that's about, this thing was my late grandfather's; I'm just looking for some information or general history. Bubba'd into a shotgun at some point maybe?
 
I've seen Pattern 53 and Pattern 58 barrels where the rifleing was about non existing. Tower 1861 Crown VR lock.
I am sure most people here will think this is what you have, in a short model and 58 cal percussion. You can measure just inside the muzzle I.D. should be .57-.61 range. Yes a pic would help too.
 
After the Indian Mutiny of 1857, only British troop's were issued rifled bores with ladder rear sights. Indian soldiers were allowed only smoothbore Enfields with very crude sights. Otherwise the muskets were identical. Perhaps this is one of them.
 
A bead type front sight, with bands notched to allow the sight to be seen sounds like old bubba work.
.50 sounds way too small.
Is there a VR with the crown?
 
Back
Top Bottom