Looking for info

Nbhunt3r

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Location
NB
Hello, I received this gun from my grandfathers basement, I don't know much about it other then from wha my uncle has told me it does fire. Here are a few pictures.







 
Last edited:
Looks like some kind of Middle Eastern or North African muzzleloader by the stock design and decoration. Maybe out of Afghanistan, Iran or Iraq. Did your grandfather ever spend any time in the area?
If you post good closeups of the lock someone on here may recognize a European lock. Looks like a hexagonal bore maybe a European rifle that was restocked in that part of the world.
 
Looks to be Persian or Afghan area-the lock looks to be an East India lock from a flint 1796 model bess and the lock later converted to percussion. The lock plate just ahead of the #### seems to have the remains of the EIC rampant lion cartouche. Unusual to find this type of rifling from the area. Just my 2 cents worth.
 
Bumping one of my old post, anyone have any idea what this would be worth to sell?

I feel safe in saying it would sell for a lot less than the $1800 that the one in the ad sold for. My guess locally would be more in the $300 to $500 range. I also suspect that you would not find a lot of people wanting to buy one. In reply to Plinker, I have one and have shot it with minute of mastadon accuracy. I think the lack of accuracy is mostly attributable to pitting in the "chamber area" and I have tried putting corn meal on top of the powder and below the patched ball. That helped a bit but I have not got around to trying a double dose of corn meal. Basically the idea is to seat the ball farther forward where there is less pitting but at the same time keep a marginally compressible layer between the ball and the powder

cheers mooncoon
 
Does anybody know how much a Savage model 99 takedown 303 savage cal. circa 1931 in good condition is worth?
Thanks.
Crf
 
Back
Top Bottom