low pressure 20 gauge loads

catnthehatt

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
128   0   0
Location
Ft. Mac. Alberta
Howdy All!
I have been trying to find some low pressure smokeless loads for the 20 gauge 2 1/2" shells, I have some black powder data, but am looking for smokeless as well.
Can anybody be of help?
Cat
 
Last edited:
Sorry Cat, I hate to hijack. I am looking for the same thing for 16 ga 2 1/2. If someone can share that too, I would appreciate it.

YKD

PS - shooting a 1913 nitro rated drilling, and do not want to stress the barrels. Imagine cat is looking for the same info?
 
Sorry Cat, I hate to hijack. I am looking for the same thing for 16 ga 2 1/2. If someone can share that too, I would appreciate it.

YKD

PS - shooting a 1913 nitro rated drilling, and do not want to stress the barrels. Imagine cat is looking for the same info?
I have the 16 gauge stuff, not sure if Ii can dig it out of here!
The 16 gauge society has it however.
Andy, I'm looking for loads arounf 7,000 - 8,000PSI.
I know they are out there, just don't know where!
I did see one load that was about 8,000 using Unique.
This id for an older back actioned hammer gun....
Cat
 
All I can suggest is to take a low-pressure published load for a 1 oz payload, and only use 3/4 oz.

The worst that can happen is that the powder will not burn cleanly, due to the low pressure.
 
I gave up looking and now just use black in my 20 guages. I did use green dot and 7625 for a while but decided the minimum pressures were too high. Moderate amount of data out for 7-8000 psi loads for 12 guage but seems to be nothing in the 20 category

cheers mooncoon
 
I gave up looking and now just use black in my 20 guages. I did use green dot and 7625 for a while but decided the minimum pressures were too high. Moderate amount of data out for 7-8000 psi loads for 12 guage but seems to be nothing in the 20 category

cheers mooncoon

I was going to PM you Doug!
What are you using for a charge , 65 grains and 1oz of shot? ?
Cat
 
I was going to PM you Doug!
What are you using for a charge , 65 grains and 1oz of shot? ?
Cat

Somewhere around there. (haven't loaded for several months). I think it was 2 1/2 drams and probably 7/8 oz. I know in the past with a 10 guage, too much shot seemed to create a vertically strung out pattern so I am inclined to think partially pattern your load whatever it is and partially if in doubt go a bit light on the shot. I did chronograph a 12 guage load of 1 oz and 80 grains of 2F and got about 1050 fps. I am inclined to think that in spite of modern loads being drams equivalent, based on velocity, that black powder loads are a bit slower than the dram equivalent of a modern lead load.

cheers mooncoon
 
Ellwood Epps stocks the Kent Gamebore stuff. You might want to try them. I got some low pressure smokeless ammo from them for my 1887 Winchester but I imagine they have more than just 12 guage.
 
Back
Top Bottom