Low Pressure Grouse Loads

Bland

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I have been working at understanding the reload game. This seems the only reasonable way to go because of the lack of availability of <6500 psi commercial loads. Spent some time on the 16GA board which was very informative. Maybe I know enough now to ask a reasonable question. Here goes. The terrain is spruce jungle, swampy, some clear cut edges etc. The shots are quick and very short range or not at all. With the premise being the lowest possible pressure shell would be the most gentle on the workings of this old girl. There is a 3/4 oz load that shows a 5100 psi rating. The velocity is right there with the higher pressure loads. My current understanding dictates this is probably a good choice. Hopefully I am at least in the right ball park.
 
I have a Damascus-barreled 24 ga. I shoot new, unfired 20 ga. shellsthat have had the tops cut off to dump the powder and shot out. I load with 35 gr. of ffG and pour the 3/4 oz of lead back in with some 24 ga. wads. Worked great for spruce and ruffed grouse, at close range. Mind you, the bush was too thick to shoot them on the fly.
 
Thanks for the considered responses. I am at the tire kicking stage of buying reloading gear etc. We live 45 miles from anywhere, if you will, and generally head into town once a week with 'the list'. The upside out here is huge in every way, the shopping, maybe not so much. It looks like the MEC equipment has a good setup for adapting to 2.5" shells. We are heading into town today and I am going to check out the local gun shop to see about cost, availability etc before making any final decisions. I have the spread sheet with the load I mentioned at the beginning of this thread. If that doesn't work out I will go online with one of the sponsors of CGN. I would prefer to follow Tigger's suggestion but unfortunately not a viable option. I am going to have to line up the gear, bring it in and then hope it works out sort of deal. Relying on the the vast amount of experience available on this board should keep me on the right trail. Thanks again.
 
Back
Top Bottom