I saw a Youtube video where a fellow made RB patches using the inner race of a bearing and a large hardened steel ball. But being the cheap bastard that I am I thought I could do it with stuff I already had. So with lots of spare time.....
I already had made a punch for leather from a 1" rigid electrical conduit pipe. I used the outer O.D. as the cutting edge for the size of leather I needed, but it can be made from black steel pipe nipples probably.
Denim makes good patches if you can't get pillow ticking. Old pair of jeans.
I place the material over the pipe and GENTLY tap at the cutting edge with a hammer.
This works well for 50cal, I will try them in a 45 cal although they may be too large.
Note: I make about 10 at a time then I resharpen the cutting edge of the pipe. I'm not sure if a plastic mallet or some other kind of striking instrument would work because it would be nice to keep the edge for a longer time. Also will the mallet be destroyed in the process?
I already had made a punch for leather from a 1" rigid electrical conduit pipe. I used the outer O.D. as the cutting edge for the size of leather I needed, but it can be made from black steel pipe nipples probably.
Denim makes good patches if you can't get pillow ticking. Old pair of jeans.
I place the material over the pipe and GENTLY tap at the cutting edge with a hammer.
This works well for 50cal, I will try them in a 45 cal although they may be too large.
Note: I make about 10 at a time then I resharpen the cutting edge of the pipe. I'm not sure if a plastic mallet or some other kind of striking instrument would work because it would be nice to keep the edge for a longer time. Also will the mallet be destroyed in the process?


















































