Marlin 1881 help needed

Anfoman76

Regular
Rating - 99%
191   2   0
Location
B.C.
Hi there all, I have just acquired through a friend. I wanted to know the approximate value if anyone can help. It's a Marlin model 1881 in 38-55. In untouched condition fairly good for it's age I dated as being from 1887. Barrel has 40-50% bluing left and the receiver has 0-10% left there's no pitting on the outside and the woods in great shape (again for it's age). I have seen rifles sold in auction in the US in the same conditon for 1500-2000. Would that be the value up here? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will try to get some pics up tomorrow.
 
Unless it has special order features( pistol grip, checkering, extra-long or short barrel, double set triggers,special sights etc.) in the condition you describe with a good bore $500-$700 in my area. There isn't the interest in Marlins that there is in Winchesters even though they are fine guns. U.S. prices aren't really a good guideline in Canada. I've attended gunshows in the Maritimes where beautiful Marlins lay ignored on the table while people fought over Winchesters that looked like they had been through the wars. Go figure.
 
Pics are of utmost importance :cool:

x2

Armco had an 1881 in 45-70 in decent condition that went unpurchased for several weeks, I think in the $1000 range.

Bore condition is also very important in the pricing. A rifle with a good bore would help the price quite a bit. As Mike mentioned, the demand for Marlins is nothing like it is for Winchesters. Fortunately, that means that those of us would like Marlins can pick up some nice examples at a reasonable cost ;)
 
Back
Top Bottom