Marlin 1894 Safety : Any value in this rifle

Lef T

Regular
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Location
Southern Ontario
I came into possession of this rifle and am going to put it up on the exchange,but have no idea to it's market value.
The rifle is in decent condition,but the barrel is dark and the rifling is not strong.
It is chambered for 44-40
Serial no. 9442X
Is this a wallhanger or a project rifle or what.
I have no idea what to ask for it.
Thanks for any help.

DSC01474.jpg


DSC01476.jpg


DSC01477.jpg
 
Last edited:
I checked out serial number online.
It would be dated as built in 1893.
So this means it is an 1893?
I'm getting more confused.
It is marked 44 on the barrel.
This means it is a 44-40. Correct?
I'll have to do some more digging.
 
Last edited:
I THINK what you have is a Marlin 1889 NOT an 1894, the lever latch that holds the lever by the spur is the giveaway. This models claim to fame is its when marlin decided to go with the side ejection, all Marlins before it were top ejection.

I really like the old marlins, in my opinion they were ahead of the game with winchester until they came out with the 1886.

It is a 44-40

Its not an antique status by any stretch of the imagination both by magazine as mentioned and by caliber.

Personally I doubt its worth over a thousand bucks, the butt plate/stock may be a modern replacement from an 1894 (I would expect a crescent butt plate or at least a steel one) and if the riflings toast (clean the thing and see if it really is) then it doesn't have much value as a shooter.

Nice gun though, if it were mine I would try it out first and see how it shoots, and possibly get it relined.

But then again with all the talk about what stuff sells on the EE for, maybe you will get top dollar for it.
 
Last edited:
Remove the buttstock and look at the tang inlet - Marlins from that era had the buttstock serial numbered to the gun. If it's original they should match. And it is an 1889, like hickstick10 said. But the prices quoted earlier (1200-2500) are way out to lunch IMO. Winchester 1892s have a much larger following, and they don't get into that range often, even on the EE.
 
Back
Top Bottom