Marstar has brought me into the fold.

ice2152

Regular
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Location
Ontario
Marstar pietta deals this blackfriday were too good to pass up and I bought a 1851 rebel navy. My first black powder firearm. I've shot a couple black powder recently and was a lot of fun. It is something I've always wanted to do since a little boy. I've already bought and read a black powder loading book. (have to refresh) Now I need a .44 calibre mold to cast some balls. This firearm hobby just keeps expanding! (reloading, casting) just built a new reload bench! Lol
Thanks John for the great deal. I can see a flintlock in my future. ��
 
Congrats on a whole new level of shooting fun. And yes, you most certainly should get a nice flintlock to play with. It's hard to imagine a more different and separate experience than between shooting a modern rifle and a flintlock. There's something special about the big FWOOF! going off right in front of your nose that'll really test your poise and steadiness..... :D

You're after either a .454 or .457 mold for your new toy. Base your choice on which size you've tried already and how easy or hard it was to ram into place.

You're likely in the same boat as the rest of us in that with the stock sights that your gun shoots way too high. I've read that the originals were sighted in to hit targets at greater than 50 yards so the sights are set for a lot of loft for the ball. But that's not so great for closer in target shooting. I've installed taller front sights on my 1851 and my two 1860's as a result and now I'm able to hit where I aim instead of the huge fudge factor needed with the stock sights.

Another thing is to check that your wedge drives the arbor into the front end of the receiver hole in the barrel before it pinches the cylinder gap down to nothing. This is the PROPER way that a Colt style gun is supposed to be but the Italians seemed to have missed that memo. I understand from my reading on this issue that Pietta is better than Uberti but it's still worth checking. If you find that the arbor is too short to wedge to a proper lock in the barrel then you need a bit of a shim in the hole for the nose of the arbor to seat firmly against. It might be as simple as dropping a little #6 or #8 flat washer in there. Or maybe you have some shop skills and can do something a trifle more elegant. But either way you'll find that the aim and cylinder gap is more consistent when the barrel correctly wedges into place like Sam Colt intended.
 
Thanks for the info Bcrider, this is going to be a new learning experience. Good thing is a friend of mine that I shoot with has some experience.
 
Back
Top Bottom