Mauser M18 in .243~good choice?

Nothing I’ve seen online suggests this...do u have a source?

The Internet:
"Barrel life is the downside of both the .243 AI and standard .243. These chamberings pump a lot of powder through a small bore. The result, typically, is rather short barrel life, sometimes less than 1500 rounds.

ivob
 
The Internet:
"Barrel life is the downside of both the .243 AI and standard .243. These chamberings pump a lot of powder through a small bore. The result, typically, is rather short barrel life, sometimes less than 1500 rounds.

ivob

It's not nearly that bad...
 
I can wreck a 2506 barrel in 1500 rnds. A 243 should go more. My buddies are getting good accuracy well in to mid 2000s.
Its also not just buring one out. Changing them for a different contor or length or just swapping calipers is reason enough to want a threaded in barrel
 
The Internet:
"Barrel life is the downside of both the .243 AI and standard .243. These chamberings pump a lot of powder through a small bore. The result, typically, is rather short barrel life, sometimes less than 1500 rounds.

ivob

I was only addressing the “threaded vs press fit” part of the discussion
 
I have an M18 in 308. It is very accurate and very light to carry. It seems to be what a lot of people in the UK are shooting sort of like the Remington 700 here. It's just a rifle from a different market . It's a no BS rifle, with no north American zombie apocalypse fantasies. I like that.
 
Ive had a 6.5 creed and still have a 30/06 M18, The 06 isn't going anywhere though I have two more 06's and I still kick my own ass for parting with the 6.5 though I still have two more creed's as well. They are a no BS rifle as the poster above has said, holds 5, functions flawlessly and the accuracy is on par with any of my tikka's. 599 from Tenda, ,I just wish I could find one in .270 win.
 
Last edited:
wow...crickets.. :( Nobody on this forum has one of these rifles?
Here is my opinion;
The M18 is just another rifle built to a price-point. German built, sure. So were the GSG lineup of pot-metal POS handguns and rifles. Country of origin does not mean quality. You might have an easier time getting service with a Savage, or one of the other budget rifles. Too bad Zastavas are no longer available, they were certainly more of a Mauser than the m18, for less money.
 
wow...crickets.. :( Nobody on this forum has one of these rifles?

Take that as a sign lol

If the barrels the same as the Sauer 100, its a very very good barrel. But not that many people like either of them. And the rifle has a stupid LOP and slow rate of twist so wouldn't be that interested in it. That and what I found to be terrible recoil and handling characteristics turned me off the Sauer, which was too bad, cause they're really accurate, have great triggers too. Think the triggers also the same on both.

Stock was super rigid but besides that I really don't know who came up with the bright idea of the dimensions and the pad on it lol. Awful. Woulda been a rifle I like much more than Tikkas and among my favs if they didn't f*ck that up.

Oh, and if you don't like them, resale value is garbage, bear that in mind.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom