Memorandum D19-13-2 Importing and Exporting Firearms, Weapons and Devices

Steppenwolf

Moderator
Moderator
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Memorandum D19-13-2 Importing and Exporting Firearms, Weapons and Devices
Memorandum D19-13-2

Importing and Exporting Firearms, Weapons and Devices
2009-06-23

This memorandum outlines how Tariff Item 9898.00.00 of the Customs Tariff, the Criminal Code, the Firearms Act, and the Export and Import Permits Act relate to the importing and exporting of firearms, firearm parts, weapons, devices, and certain types of ammunition.

To obtain the full document in an alternative format, please send a request to: publishing.publications@cbsa-asfc.gc.ca

Full Document: PDF (436 Kb) [help with PDF files] http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d19/d19-13-2-eng.pdf
Last modified: 2009-06-23
Summary

The Government of Canada is committed to effective firearms and weapons control that targets criminals and at the same time maintain the highest standards of public safety. Firearms and weapons are high-risk commodities that can impact the safety, security and welfare of Canadians. It is the policy of the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) to control the flow of firearms, weapons and other devices, in order to ensure compliance by all stakeholders with existing laws, regulations and orders and seek to interdict the illegal and unjustified crossing of firearms and weapons across the border; while also streamlining the process for low-risk and law-abiding persons travelling with legitimate purposes and with the required documentation.

ReferencesIssuing office
Health, Safety and Security Unit

Partnerships Division

Border and Compliance Programs Directorate

Admissibility Branch

Headquarters file 68515-03

Legislative references Customs Act
Customs Tariff
Criminal Code
Export and Import Permits Act
Firearms Act
Regulations Prescribing Exclusions from Certain Definitions of the Criminal Code (International Sporting Competition Handguns)
Regulations Prescribing Certain Firearms and other Weapons, Components and Parts of Weapons, Accessories, Cartridge Magazines, Ammunition and Projectiles as Prohibited or Restricted
Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms by Individuals Regulations
Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms and other Weapons by Businesses Regulations

Other references D2-1-1, D11-6-7, D19-6-1
Superseded memoranda D
D19-13-2, July 17, 2002
 
According to that document, all I need to do is register a firearm I want to import, and arrive at the border with my license and registration.. but I've been told I need an import certificate from the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Exchange. Does anybody have personal experience with this?
 
The onlky experience I have is with a modern black powder muzzle loader. I arrived with PAL , the registration certificate and the rifle and went right through. I had been told about the import certificate also but when I asked Canada Customs what I required they did not mention nor ask for the import certificate so I did not apply for it.
 
Caveat. Not from personal experience!

My understanding is that import certs are required to get the export permit required to export from the US, if one is required. From my reading, BP and Antique firearms are not affected as clearly as, say, military hardware.

That keeps one from running afoul of the US authorities, in cases where the item being exported is a controlled item. Don't know if there are recent changes to the Antique status stuff, on that front.

Based on statements posted here by folks that claimed to have carried stuff through the border, Canadian authorities are not too concerned yet about what US laws may have been broken getting the item to their office (like Exporting something without the proper certs) but are concerned about that the item is legally entered in the system if that is required, prior to it's entering Canada, and that the appropriate taxes have been paid.

Every now and then mention is made of harmonizing the enforcement at the Border and having both sets of laws being enforced by both sides. Could get sticky, if so.

Cheers
Trev
 
Thanks for the info.. I finally got someone at the Foreign Affairs office to return a phone call, so I at least know which application to fill out. Anyhow, it's good to know that it's just to sort out the American end of things..
Thanks Again!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom