MFS .223 Rem 55 Grain JHP Suitability for AR-15

duke1

CGN frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
87   0   0
MFS .223 Rem 55 Grain JHP Suitability for AR-15

I'm a recent and new owner of an AR-15 type firearm and just ordered a case of 1000 rounds of the subject ammo. Because it has a Zinc plated steel case, I was wondering if this might lead to premature wear of the extractor and the chamber, not to mention stuck cases, etc.

I read that the zinc plating of the steel case is a big help here but it might take a bundle of rounds before this can be assessed correctly.

All the reviews that I have read of this ammo on this subject seem to come to the conclusion that it should not be a problem but some of you here might have different experiences and if you do, please share them here.

Any other comments on this Hungarian ammo manufacturer would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Duke1

PS. BTW, the cost for a case was $379.95+GST with free shipping.

================================================================

An ad on the FMJ version of the ammo:

MFS .223 Remington, 55 Grain, Bi-metal FMJ, Zn (Zinc) plated steel case, non-corrosive, brand new manufacture.


MFS is a Hungarian company (with facilities in Russia) that has been producing ammunition since the 1950s. Their goal is to provide high quality ammunition to hunters and shooters. Th unique Zn (Zinc) plated cases help protect against corrosion, aids in extraction, reduces camber wear and does not use any lacquer or polymer coatings that can gum up your action. This ammunition is new production, berdan primed for long shelf life and fully non-corrosive. Ships 20 rds per box and 50 boxes per case of 1000 rds.
 
Last edited:
Rumour has it that AR's don't like steel cases. Steel cases are not reloadable either. The zinc won't matter.
"...just ordered a case of 1000 rounds..." Never order ammo in bulk until you have tried a box out of your rifle. You have no idea how well it'll shoot.
 
My Stag and my Norc both liked the steel cases and we've sold skids of it. On that note, 5% off father's day sale is on now with coupon code "father" if you want to give some a try.

Ryan
 
MFS offering

A little off-track but I was under the impression that the zinc plated ammo was 55FMJ and 62SP. The JHP wasn't lacquer coated steel case like Wolf ammo?
Lacquer can be a reliability issue, when heated it leaves a deposit in the chamber.
 
My Stag and my Norc both liked the steel cases and we've sold skids of it. On that note, 5% off father's day sale is on now with coupon code "father" if you want to give some a try.

Ryan

Hi Ryan,
I ordered 500 of the 62gr from you to try out, thanks. Any info on the ballistics regarding drop and wind-drift?
Using a 100yd zero, would like to understand the numbers going out to 500yd. I am hoping it will get blown around less than my 55gr ammo when using in my 16" AR.

Cheers!
 
My AR15 and AR180B both eat it up no problem.
Not as accurate as some of the other brands I've tried but it goes bang every time and after 500 rounds I haven't had a FTF or FTE with it yet.
 
Back
Top Bottom