milsurp reliability

Anything is possible, you could have some that was stored poorly.

However, that dud rate goes against my experience and that of anyone I know of.

This is the truth of it. It's not the age or maker, as much as it is the storage conditions. Thousands of rounds of czech stuff, some dating back to the sixties, and it all went bang. I have a stack of hungarian heavy ball x 54r that is "prone to misfire and hangfire" according to 7.62x54r. net that also all went bang. Go figure. Mine was kept dry and cool, theirs was damp and hot.
Country of manufacture probably tells you a bit. When I think .303 made in India, I think of a humid cave in the basement of some old fort with crates of the stuff. Stands to reason that it might be a little iffy...
 
thanks for the help, i will take a closer look at he gun and try a test with another sks to see if i get the same results.

It makes sense if the ammo was stored incorrectly that there could be issues, but i think this is probably not what happened.

Even though i didnt purchase the entire crate of ammo, i bought it from a store that had recently opened the case and was selling it per 100 rounds. If it was sealed, storage should have minimal impact. Or is that not a safe bet?
 
Even sealed cases can be affected by temperature swings and some cases are less sealed than others. I had two of the steel-liner cases where the bottom of the can was not soldered to the rest of the box. It all went bang, though.

Is the firing pin clean and dry on your rifle? Is the tip of the pin in good condition?
 
Back
Top Bottom