Misfiring 1851 Colt replica...could it be a problem with the hammer face? (pic)

AdrianM

Regular
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I just got this Pietta 1851 Colt replica. I test fired it yesterday after replacing the hand and the wedge. I had 4 misfires on the first cylinder but they fired on the second try. I'm a total newb so maybe the caps weren't far enough on the nipples. I'll pay more attention to that next time. The main spring seems strong. But I'm wondering if the hammer face could be part of the problem. Is this normal or a sign of excessive dry firing or just lots of use? Should it be flat? Should I remove that little nipple in the center?

003-20_zps71204fba.jpg


Adrian
 
Can you take a picture of the rear of the cylinder to show the condition of the nipples, I had a similar problem with mashed nipples from dry firing that lead to mis-fires.
Don't start removing metal from the hammer until the problem has been diagnosed properly.
 
The nipples are as new. Not mis-shaped at all.

I know, I don't want to touch anything until I'm reasonably sure of what the problem is. Could it be that I didn't slide the caps on far enough and the first hammer strike drove them down on the nipples but not firing them? How hard should you force the caps on? I was pretty gently with them fearing accidental discharge.
 
No. 11 caps?
If you were using a tight fitting cap that might explain the 2 strikes req'd to fire.
I use Rem and / or CCI No. 11's with my Peitta Navy and it seems to work good.
 
Take the cylinder off (with no powder) and try fitting the caps, if they are too tight to go all the way on with reasonable pressure they may need to be trimmed. Before you do that though put the cylinder back on and check the fit between the hammer and the nipple with the hammer all the way forward, put a bit of rearward pressure on the cylinder then push forward on the hammer to see if they are touching. A picture of the rear of the cylinder would help figure out what that dimple on the hammer face is for.
 
First thing is to make sure the caps are seated.

They are No.11 caps. I have tins of CCI and Remington but I got them both with the gun and am not sure how old they are.

I think they are kinda snug. I had to use the edge of the cap installing tool to pry them off. I will make sure they are properly seated when I try it again.

Stupid question...how do you seat them properly? I'm sure tapping them on isn't a good idea. :rolleyes: Just a strong push with the cap tool?
 
Funny I don't find then tight on mine. Mayhaps someone replaced then with aftermarket ones?
11's require a pinch prior to installing to keep them in place on my unit which is OEM
 
Maybe that is my issue...the caps are a snug fit. They are in very good shape which may suggest that they have been replaced. But then again, the whole revolver is in pretty nice shape...

I'm going to try it again this weekend with more attention to the seating of the caps.
 
check the flash hole in the nipples, I replaced a nipple on my muzzle loader and had misfires a plenty turns out that there are nipples out there with smaller diameter hole
 
check the flash hole in the nipples, I replaced a nipple on my muzzle loader and had misfires a plenty turns out that there are nipples out there with smaller diameter hole

I should mention that the caps aren't going off. It takes two strikes of the hammer to fire them. When the cap fires, the chamber has always fired. Gonna try it again this weekend.
 
A CGN'er has confirmed that the hammer face is as it should be. So I've got to make sure the caps are seated all the way. In lieu of that, my other options are try new caps or verify that the main spring is strong enough.

Thanks all.
 
A CGN'er has confirmed that the hammer face is as it should be. So I've got to make sure the caps are seated all the way. In lieu of that, my other options are try new caps or verify that the main spring is strong enough.
.

With an empty cylinder, try backing the nipples out 1 turn. If the caps fire dependably it means that your nipples are too short. I am a bit puzzled because I think originally you said that #11 caps were tight on the nipples but that the nipples were not mushroomed out. Most revolver nipples are a little bit small for # 11 caps and I have always had to squeeze them a bit before putting them on the nipple, to get them to grip

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom