A couple weeks ago, a fellow I grew up with named Alvin, came for a short visit and brought a bunch of old photos some of which I will share with you.
This photo is of Alvin's brother, and my brother-in-law, standing beside a Timber Wolf he shot with his Lee Enfield 303 British. Their farm was about four miles from ours. Hanging next to the Timber Wolf is a Coyote for a size comparison. Here is the photo .....
This next photo is of Alvin's dad, Mr. Foster. It would have been taken sometime around 1950. The deer is a Whitetail, and the rifle is a Winchester Model 1894 38-55. Here is the photo .....
This next photo is of my friend Alvin and his sister, along with another Timber Wolf that he shot with a Marlin 30-30. Timber Wolves were an ongoing problem, especially for calves. This photo would have been taken in the mid-1970's .....
That is all for the old levergun photos, but I have a few more I thought that some might enjoy. This one is of Mr. Foster and another of our neighbours, Johnny Long, with a team that they got all dressed up and entered into the local agricultural fair. Here they are, all spiffed up .....
Here is one showing the way we used to saw logs when I was a young fellow. As you may notice, there were not a whole lot of safety devices on our rig. Most of us kept all our limbs, except for old Mr. Wilson. He lost an arm when he slipped once. The fellow closest to the camera is Mr. Foster and my brother in law, Graham, is fourth man in . ....
Here is one of Mr. Foster and two of his boys getting a load of hay. Dad and I used to get hay exactly the same way in the winter time with our team of horses, but I don't think anyone ever took a picture of us. Here are the Foster's ....
Here is one of Alvin in the bush. We used to do a lot of wood cutting in the winter. We mostly burned Aspen (we called it White Poplar, but it is really Trembling Aspen). I enjoyed this sort of work ....
Here is one of Mr. Foster doing some garden tilling with Alvin's oldest brother on the horse .....
Lastly, here is a shot of the Sunday School class I was in in the late 1950's. I'm the one fourth in from the left. Alvin is at top right. Third in from the left is my friend Robbie. Robbie was the last of the local Cree. When he grew up and left, there were no more Cree left in our area, at least none that were native. Kind of sad to see the last of them go. There were other, older Cree that would come and Dad would hire them to work on our farm, so I grew up working with local Cree, but they were all older than Robbie. One of them fought in World War II. All us kids in the photo grew up together except the pastor's son, second from the left. They moved away when I was about 7 years old. The three girls on the right are, from right to left, my sister, my cousin, and another sister (mostly hidden behind my cousin). We didn't have a church, so we had church in the country school. Here is the photo ....
This photo is of Alvin's brother, and my brother-in-law, standing beside a Timber Wolf he shot with his Lee Enfield 303 British. Their farm was about four miles from ours. Hanging next to the Timber Wolf is a Coyote for a size comparison. Here is the photo .....
This next photo is of Alvin's dad, Mr. Foster. It would have been taken sometime around 1950. The deer is a Whitetail, and the rifle is a Winchester Model 1894 38-55. Here is the photo .....
This next photo is of my friend Alvin and his sister, along with another Timber Wolf that he shot with a Marlin 30-30. Timber Wolves were an ongoing problem, especially for calves. This photo would have been taken in the mid-1970's .....
That is all for the old levergun photos, but I have a few more I thought that some might enjoy. This one is of Mr. Foster and another of our neighbours, Johnny Long, with a team that they got all dressed up and entered into the local agricultural fair. Here they are, all spiffed up .....
Here is one showing the way we used to saw logs when I was a young fellow. As you may notice, there were not a whole lot of safety devices on our rig. Most of us kept all our limbs, except for old Mr. Wilson. He lost an arm when he slipped once. The fellow closest to the camera is Mr. Foster and my brother in law, Graham, is fourth man in . ....
Here is one of Mr. Foster and two of his boys getting a load of hay. Dad and I used to get hay exactly the same way in the winter time with our team of horses, but I don't think anyone ever took a picture of us. Here are the Foster's ....
Here is one of Alvin in the bush. We used to do a lot of wood cutting in the winter. We mostly burned Aspen (we called it White Poplar, but it is really Trembling Aspen). I enjoyed this sort of work ....
Here is one of Mr. Foster doing some garden tilling with Alvin's oldest brother on the horse .....
Lastly, here is a shot of the Sunday School class I was in in the late 1950's. I'm the one fourth in from the left. Alvin is at top right. Third in from the left is my friend Robbie. Robbie was the last of the local Cree. When he grew up and left, there were no more Cree left in our area, at least none that were native. Kind of sad to see the last of them go. There were other, older Cree that would come and Dad would hire them to work on our farm, so I grew up working with local Cree, but they were all older than Robbie. One of them fought in World War II. All us kids in the photo grew up together except the pastor's son, second from the left. They moved away when I was about 7 years old. The three girls on the right are, from right to left, my sister, my cousin, and another sister (mostly hidden behind my cousin). We didn't have a church, so we had church in the country school. Here is the photo ....


















































