Yes, that's it! He does indeed use prelubed patches. His method is to soak strips of patch material in a solution of water and water soluble cutting oil, as used in machine shops. The idea is that after soaking, the water evaporates, leaving relatively dry lubed patches. The whole objective is consistency. He also recommends taking your micrometer to the fabric shop, to get consistent, proper thickness patch material (pure cotton, or linen). I tried all of this with my Lyman Great Plains .50, and my groups shrunk by half! Well worth the time, IMHO.
Not only do I have a difficult time loading with such patches in a clean barrel but without cleaning about every 5 or ten shots, I would not be able to load at all. The method is fine for shooting from a bench and cleaning between shots but fairly impractical on a trail. The lube that I use is about 20 % water soluable cutting oil. I do buy my patching with a micrometer and have the good fortune to have a micrometer with pedestals about 1/2" in diameter for more consistent measurements on soft things like fabric
The price of cutting oil has gone up considerably of recent and I am starting to wonder if there are water soluable vegetable oils available in the grocery store, which could replace the cutting oil
cheers mooncoon


















































