My Antique Sharps came Today! (better pics)

That'd look great with a dotsight mounted on the reciever and some green krylon camo. Should paint the stock with bedliner too, that stock looks pretty slippery as is.
 
Some of you boys need to be taken out behind the barn and taught some appreciation for a fine classic carbine.:cool:
 
Dingus,

Found an interesting bit in an old trappers journal here from February 1908, some of the rifles he sold before moving here from Wisconsin.

Win '94 32-40 and loading tools $7.00
Marlin 40-60 and tools $8.00
Win 45-60 sold for $5.00
And lastly, his '50 Sharps rifle' for a mere $2.50

My wife is right, I was born a century late.
 
Dingus,

Found an interesting bit in an old trappers journal here from February 1908, some of the rifles he sold before moving here from Wisconsin.

Win '94 32-40 and loading tools $7.00
Marlin 40-60 and tools $8.00
Win 45-60 sold for $5.00
And lastly, his '50 Sharps rifle' for a mere $2.50

My wife is right, I was born a century late.

Thats intresting,
I guess a lever gun was worth twice what and old sharps was back then.
I think antique Winchesters are still worth more at least some winchesters.
I wonder what this old sharps of mine has been thru since it was made in 1857...
 
Thats intresting,
I guess a lever gun was worth twice what and old sharps was back then.
I think antique Winchesters are still worth more at least some winchesters.
I wonder what this old sharps of mine has been thru since it was made in 1857...

Is yours converted from percussion? Found quite a few stateside in a short time last night but they aren't as nice as yours, unless you want to pay big bucks.
 
Thats intresting,
I wonder what this old sharps of mine has been thru since it was made in 1857...

Yeah, sure would be nice if those oldies could pass on their past to us. Bet it would be just a little different than what some of the original owners passed down to us ;)

Noel, I have been looking for some '63 - '74 Sharps as well, but am not too concerned about condition, as long as they are not too pricey. I am planning on "refinishing" one or two.

Later...........
 
LeRoy,

I'll be saving my penny's before I can get one but if you end up with one looking as good as dingus' carbine that you need to flog you know who to drop a line too.

Found a link last night talking about Custer using one and how much game they got with theirs. Wild game that is, not original inhabitant of the human form. Sounds like a great rifle to carry for some challenging hunts.
 
Yes mine was made as a percussion rifle in 1857 going by the Serial number.
has part of the Maynard primeing system still visable.
Then later conveted to 50 70 cartridge.
Mine was more Restored than refinished. the reicever and hammer and block and loading lever ect is re case hardened that gives it the nice colours. recase hardening is not something i have figgered out how to do.
if ya get one thats not looking to bad id leave it alone as home refinished ones that are all just reblued dont look so great.
theres one with a broken hammer on GB right now that all reblued.
 
dingus,
forgot to say how JEALOUS I am---but you probably already now that!! LOL ;)
That is one sweet rifle.

Noel, you'll be my first call!

Later...........
 
Yes mine was made as a percussion rifle in 1857 going by the Serial number.
has part of the Maynard primeing system still visable.
Then later conveted to 50 70 cartridge.
Mine was more Restored than refinished. the reicever and hammer and block and loading lever ect is re case hardened that gives it the nice colours. recase hardening is not something i have figgered out how to do.
if ya get one thats not looking to bad id leave it alone as home refinished ones that are all just reblued dont look so great.
theres one with a broken hammer on GB right now that all reblued.

Did you get yours off GB?
I did not buy on a purchase there last year, the shipping can be fun.
 
Dingus,

That is a very nice looking Sharp's carbine. Are there any markings on the barrel, or were they polished off during the refinish? I think that most if not all conversion carbines were refinished at the armory at the time of conversion. At the time of conversion, carbines with worn out bores with the original 6 groove rifling were relined with a 3 groove liner. Judging by the serial number on your carbine, I would suggest 1863 as a date of manufacture before being converted to cartridge. Your serial number falls in the range of New Model 1863 Carbines (71,000 to C,49,528).

Regards,
Powderman
 
Dingus,

That is a very nice looking Sharp's carbine. Are there any markings on the barrel, or were they polished off during the refinish? I think that most if not all conversion carbines were refinished at the armory at the time of conversion. At the time of conversion, carbines with worn out bores with the original 6 groove rifling were relined with a 3 groove liner. Judging by the serial number on your carbine, I would suggest 1863 as a date of manufacture before being converted to cartridge. Your serial number falls in the range of New Model 1863 Carbines (71,000 to C,49,528).

Regards,
Powderman

Mine has almost all its Markings but the Ser # is in the C,14000s so its 1857 or 1858 made going by what i have Read i could be wrong tho.
Not sure when they Converted them.
Someone here at CGN said it was a 1863 but maby thats when it was converted.
Finding info on theses is not easy i got the Date of Manufacture from and old Dixie catalog.
Its got the 3 wide type rifleing. so was relined at the armory.
 
Dingus,

Near the breach end of the barrel should be marked New Model 1863.

After serial number 99,000 Sharps used the letter "C," in place of the number "100". Your carbine is actually in the 114,000 range. They did this until about serial number C,54,800 (154,800) when they went back to the old system without the C,.

The conversions to cartridge were done 1867. 31,098 carbines and 1,086 rifles were converted.

Regards,
Powderman
 
Dingus,

Near the breach end of the barrel should be marked New Model 1863.

After serial number 99,000 Sharps used the letter "C," in place of the number "100". Your carbine is actually in the 114,000 range. They did this until about serial number C,54,800 (154,800) when they went back to the old system without the C,.

The conversions to cartridge were done 1867. 31,098 carbines and 1,086 rifles were converted.

Regards,
Powderman

Markings on the barrel top near the breach itself are mostly buffed off i can see faint markings there just cant make them out, theres the markings on the back site base are clearer.
the Patent dates ands stuff on the action are clear enough tho.
I can see the barrel was relined with the 3 wide rifleing when they did the cartridge conversion.

Thats intresting about the 114,000s thing i didnt know that mind you im just learning about theses rifles as Antique handguns are my Forte ;)

Price was decent for a restored gun im not gona put down the Dollar figger tho.
For intrested partys they can sell for about $1800 US and up in the USA good ones tend to be over $2000 tho way up to $5500 and higher even but them high priced ones just sit there, I see alot sell in the $2200 to $2500 US price range.
The cheeper ones are the refinished or restocked guns rebarreled ect.
I just wanted a Good antique sharps shooter.
The fact its been redone is fine by me.
I was worried about mine all the way up here being Shipped. but the seller packaged it extra carefull in a BIG box and gave me and nice old leather padded rifle scabard with it to. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom