My own 8mm Lebel load calculator!

762mm

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Hey there,

After searching the web for a couple of days and with very limited luck (most of the luck I've had was thanks to you guys, actually), I have decided to create my own load calculator for the 8mm Lebel Revolver cartridge. The frustration of having to 'guess' the load with nothing else but my gut feeling was too much - and so I've spent some of my free time working on this little utility that I'd like to share with you.

Basically, I've decided to use the most common data found "out there" for this particular cartridge and the most common powder people seem to use to reload it: Bullseye. What I've done is that I've established a table of all the known data (lead bullet weight, powder quantity & FPS) to then create an average of all these numbers in relation to one another. That average served me in creating a system where you can calculate any theoretical load and obtain the necessary amount of powder you'll need in grains (based on your bullet weight and desired FPS). I guess this would be also very useful for someone who casts their own lead bullets, as those suckers can turn up in different weights, all depending on the alloys & molds used.

Note: I have NOT used data from FMJ bullets to establish these calculations; I've used lead bullet data only for a more accurate measurement. The available "known data" was collected off various sources (internet/reloading manuals).

Anywho, this calculator is pretty neat and should be accurate to approx. 800 fps. I wouldn't push it more than that, as there is no pressure data available anywhere. Even 800 fps seems kind of hot for this cartridge and it should be intended for something like maybe "bear defence" (lol!). Personally, I'll stick to 700 fps max myself. :D

Here's the link to my file (free download from rapidshare):

http://rapidshare.com/files/246833548/Load_Calculator.xls.html


By the way, this is an Microsoft Excel sheet. If you do not have Excel, then go download & install Open Office v3.1... it's an absolutely free, 100% working & independent (open source) version of Microsoft Office (but not actually made by Microsoft).

P.S. Here's the best part... the file is not locked, so you can actually enter the 'known data' off another caliber/powder and it will still calculate the appropriate loads - but ONLY AS LONG AS YOU DO NOT TAMPER WITH THE MATH FORMULAS! (average fields + spaces highlighted in yellow are the formulas in question) ;)

Enjoy!
 
Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. I have downloaded the load calculator and will give it a try when I get set up for 8mm lebel.

Jerry

No problem, I'm glad I can help you out. From what I can see, these measurements seem to be pretty solid and follow the bullet weight/powder quantity and FPS rating quite well - almost as if it was a continuous curve for all of these three items (if we were to make a graph out of it).

Too bad I haven't found pressure data for the 'known' charges; I could've also included an approximate pressure measurement also. Oh well.. as long as you stay below 800 fps, I guess that's safe enough. Venturing above that could mean a nasty kaboom in your antique 1892!

:eek:
 
762mm,
The link is dead at this point. Could I get a copy of your load calc please? I bought a 1892 and will be casting my own bullets and loading 8mm lebel. Thanks in advance for your help.
 
Last edited:
Ha!... I love it when someone resurrects an old thread of mine, lol... :D

Let me help you out with this... I'll re-upload the whole thing again.


Here is the HP-38 powder calculator (same powder as Winchester 231): http://rapidshare.com/files/411118640/Load_Calculator_-_HP-38.xls

Here is the Bullseye powder calculator: http://rapidshare.com/files/411119626/Load_Calculator_-_Bullseye.xls


Also... I've found some more data since I've made these... and according to a reliable source of the sixties/seventies (reloading article I've found), roughly 3.4 gr of Unique powder is the perfect balance for a 110 gr bullet. You can order brass & bullets from Tallman Industries (Ontario) and dies from Buffalo Arms in the States (that's where I got mine). Good luck to you. You sure picked the right gun, as 1892's are certainly my favorite antiques! (for the way they're made & for how they handle).

Enjoy! ;)


P.S. Those aren't chrono or presssure tested and rely solely on data collected from other sources (it works based on averages, basically)... in other words, use it at your own risk and don't push velocities past 750 fps or so (for safety reasons).
 
Thanks for the help. Those calculators are very helpful. I may get mountain molds to make me a mold for this shell.
 
Thanks for the help. Those calculators are very helpful. I may get mountain molds to make me a mold for this shell.

You're welcome. We need to stick together and share as much info as possible to make the hobby more enjoyable for all, which in turn helps recruit more firearm enthusiasts.

As for molds, NEI makes a custom mold for that caliber... it comes out as a .330 diameter / 116 gr bullet, which is perfect... I got one of those molds, cost me around 120$ CDN if I remember correctly (I also bought handles from them which were like 20-30$, so the mold blocks themselves are probably around 80-90$). The only thing about it is that there is a waiting period before they ship, I had to wait on mine for like 3 months or so. This is because custom stuff always takes time, especially now that there's ammo shortages across the board and all the paranoid types in America/Canada/Europe want to stock up on their own DIY gear.. just like myself, haha!

:D
 
Back
Top Bottom